Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Any Joe Lansdale fans?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 4, 2011 2:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm kind of a new convert. I read the Drive In trilogy a few months back - great stream of consciousness story telling and very, very funny in the blackest sense possible. A bunch of people trapped by an alien presence in a drive in turning feral. Also read through A Thin Dark Line which is a great little coming of age story.

Hadn't realised he wrote the original story to Bubba Ho-Tep which I'm a bit embarrassed about. I'm thinking I should track down some of his short stories now.

Anyone else a fan? Any recommendations about what to pick up next?

• October 30, 2011 11:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Drive-in Series is fun as is hte Hap and Leonard stuff. The rest is just a solid but dangerously out of print. I recommend, as does Idon, some of his comic book work from IDW press.

1664kroney said:
      Start with Savage Season and work your way through the Hap & Leonard series. Great books. Also The Bottoms is a fantastic read laced with innocence, darkness and guilt. It's got the morality of To Kill a Mockingbird sitting on top of the atmosphere and feeling of The Grapes of Wrath.

Well done for finding a great author. My first Lansdale read was also The Drive-In. Good stuff.
    • October 27, 2011 11:22 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I love my Lansdale, one of the all-time greats. I highly recommend "High Cotton" and "Bumper Crop", two of his finest short story comps.

As far as full-length novels go, check out "Freezer Burn", about a criminal hiding out in a creepy carnival, and "Sunset and Sawdust", about a female sheriff solving a murder (a dead baby buried in bubbling crude) a small hillbilly village. Killer stuff!

Also, if you're into that sort of thing, he's done a few audio book readings, but I didn't find his reading voice that intersting, but YMMV.

• October 7, 2011 10:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, good shout, been meaning to check out his comics as well.

Thanks!

• October 7, 2011 5:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Looks like I have some reading up to do! I'm familiar with DRIVE IN... but have mostly read his Comic work.

I recommend the Jonah Hex stuff, TWO GUN MOJO and RIDERS OF THE WORM AND SUCH. Both drawn by Tim Truman and quite trashy reads.

PLUS: PIGEONS FROM HELL is crazy with fitting art by Nate Fox and based on a Robert E. Howard story.

Bubba Ho-Tep is one of the best things out there - always amazes me.

Here for the stir

• October 6, 2011 3:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All sound good, I'll keep an eye out for them and hopefully they'll end up on my growing pile of un-read books...
    • October 5, 2011 2:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Start with Savage Season and work your way through the Hap & Leonard series. Great books. Also The Bottoms is a fantastic read laced with innocence, darkness and guilt. It's got the morality of To Kill a Mockingbird sitting on top of the atmosphere and feeling of The Grapes of Wrath.

Well done for finding a great author. My first Lansdale read was also The Drive-In. Good stuff.
    • October 4, 2011 6:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just read Bad Chili, which was my first Lansdale book - wonderfully dark, funny and great overall!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel