Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: best online DOWNLOAD site for labels?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 30, 2011 2:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I still love vinyl and even the poor little CD, but I think I may have released my last physical music product.

So -- I'll soon move all of my catalog to online digital download -- and I was wondering what other label owners here think is the best download site to use? I'm leaning toward Bandcamp, since I can provide full-res WAV files (and FLAC) to fans as well as low-res MP3s, along with cover art and liner notes, etc.

Any opinions from other labels/bands on the best way to have a digital download service?

Thanks, and fuzz it!

• January 19, 2013 12:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have tried one test release of mine through Bandcamp, and I really like that fans can have a FLAC for best sound quality. I still shake my head that so many people will settle for a crappy MP3 when they have a choice! ;)

But sill, a nice limited vinyl 45 beats everything, doesn't it? ;)

• May 12, 2012 5:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We use Bandcamp for most every Big Bullet Records release, and if it's a release we really want on iTunes, Amazon, etc, we go through CD Baby, which is like a one time fee of $40 or $50 and it distributes to all of those online sites (you can even pick and choose which ones).

Bandcamp is great though because they can handle your physical orders and even do physical pre-orders with an instant digital download, which was a huge incentive with our last vinyl release. Folks could secure a vinyl copy, and enjoy the digital download instantly, and Bandcamp takes care of all of that...all you have to do is mail the records out once you're ready. I just really love the versatility of Bandcamp. You can also attach extra things with each download, like .pdf liner notes, bonus hidden songs, videos, etc.

I am interested to see how Limited Pressing works out as well. We recently started a distro site there for strictly vinyl releases. I like its integration with SoundCloud.

• March 19, 2012 2:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've used TuneCore to get my releases on all the major online stores (Amazon, eMusic, iTunes, Napster, etc.), and yeah, setting up a Bandcamp store is good, too. TuneCore also takes WAVs (I think that's a requirement, actually). They charge $49.99 per release to get digital distribution to all the stores, which I don't think is too bad. They often run specials, too.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• November 30, 2011 8:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am a HUUUGE fan of Limited Pressing because they were built with vinyl/digital labels in mind. www.limitedpressing.com

Nick and Tom run the site. Tell them Jim from Red Hot Rebellion sent you and they will probably hook you up. 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel