Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Roger Waters Talks Arab Spring, Obama and the Future of 'The Wal

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 15, 2012 3:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here

Are you disappointed in the Obama presidency?

I'm very, very disappointed by his foreign policy. It obviously goes against everything that I believe. Having said that, it seems that the alternative to re-electing Obama would be such a heinous disaster for this country if you look at the candidates on the other side. I find it hard to find any value in any of them. They are lackeys for the grossest machine . . . to a man and to a woman.

• February 24, 2012 3:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What an interesting petition and link == thanks Dav-O.

dave said:

A note from Roger [Waters]- February 23, 2012
      Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 6:57pm ·

On the day of Pfc Bradley Manning's arraignment, please join with me in support of him.

I have often stated my belief that each of us has a human duty to stand up to errant authority."My country right or wrong" won't wash anymore.

Bradley Manning knows that, he is a very brave young man, who in my opinion deserves his nomination for the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize. He is symbolic of the growing resistance to the Military Industrial Complex that Dwight D. Eisenhower warned us of.

Bradley is doing this for all of us, and for all our children, and our children's children.

He must not stand alone.

Please raise your voice in his support.

Roger

---

2012 Nobel Peace Prize nominee Pfc. Bradley Manning will be arraigned on all charges today at Ft. Meade.

Bradley's Article 32 pre-trial hearing was just the first step in what appears to be a show trial, and as he heads towards court martial this summer, we want the US Government to know the world will be watching and demanding fair justice.

We need your help to turn everyone's attention back to this critical case that could have harrowing consequences for Bradley, journalists and future whistleblowers.

We're starting a letter urging the Norwegian Nobel Committee to award him the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize and call attention to both his contributions and unjust treatment. Can you add your name to our letter?

http://action.firedoglake.com/page/s/manning-nobel

• February 24, 2012 12:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A note from Roger [Waters]- February 23, 2012
      Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 6:57pm ·

On the day of Pfc Bradley Manning's arraignment, please join with me in support of him.

I have often stated my belief that each of us has a human duty to stand up to errant authority."My country right or wrong" won't wash anymore.

Bradley Manning knows that, he is a very brave young man, who in my opinion deserves his nomination for the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize. He is symbolic of the growing resistance to the Military Industrial Complex that Dwight D. Eisenhower warned us of.

Bradley is doing this for all of us, and for all our children, and our children's children.

He must not stand alone.

Please raise your voice in his support.

Roger

---

2012 Nobel Peace Prize nominee Pfc. Bradley Manning will be arraigned on all charges today at Ft. Meade.

Bradley's Article 32 pre-trial hearing was just the first step in what appears to be a show trial, and as he heads towards court martial this summer, we want the US Government to know the world will be watching and demanding fair justice.

We need your help to turn everyone's attention back to this critical case that could have harrowing consequences for Bradley, journalists and future whistleblowers.

We're starting a letter urging the Norwegian Nobel Committee to award him the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize and call attention to both his contributions and unjust treatment. Can you add your name to our letter?

http://action.firedoglake.com/page/s/manning-nobel

• February 19, 2012 4:15 AM CST
    • Untitled

It's also something most modern Brits say and the UN says.

I don't understand your point about Argentinians becoming British citizens, why should Argentinians become British?

I get the point but I think it would be a fair deal if Britain took its old rock stars back and told them to shut up on American affairs if America took all its aging movie stars back and told them to keep quiet on British affairs. Punishment could be a reunion tour where all profits go to help old people.

sean penn

Rick McCullough said:

Mike, this sounds like something your ancestor would've said in the 18th century:  why should we give up the colonies overseas when generations of British citizens have been living there?  Today, London won't even allow most Argentinians to even become British citizens.

The point of this - which I assume has been lost by now - is the appropriateness of aging Brit rock stars injecting themselves into another nation's presidential campaign.

• February 18, 2012 9:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mike, this sounds like something your ancestor would've said in the 18th century:  why should we give up the colonies overseas when generations of British citizens have been living there?  Today, London won't even allow most Argentinians to even become British citizens.

The point of this - which I assume has been lost by now - is the appropriateness of aging Brit rock stars injecting themselves into another nation's presidential campaign.

• February 18, 2012 4:28 AM CST
    • Untitled

Why you think it should be given back to Argentina despite the fact that all the people on the islands have been living there for generations? Argentina doesn't have a leg to stand on on the matter, and all that's happening at the moment is just posturing. The American position is rediculous, they support Israel which has a large Arab population but wouldn't dream of suggesting that there should be unilateral talks on the matter of it being given 'back' to Jordan or Lebanon.

The fact of the matter is that the world media likes to bang on about Britain not realising they have no empire in the same way as Europe doesn't shut up about America having no social system to help the poor. But Britain is well aware that there is no empire left, but they have to protect those places that never chose to leave it.

Why should Argentina have the Falkland Islands?

melissa scott said:

Oh Yuh, well, living in the Colony of Oz (sigh, still no Republic IN SIGHT) we get a gutload of BBC news. We call ours the ABBC, cuz it crowds out our domestic programming to shit.

I reckon Aussies know more about British and Yank politics than their own. Yup, you're right, it's easier to criticise Yankland than tend to your own pile of poo.

Our PM is 'labour' of the new flavour a la Blair. Thanks for that!

Please, please tell me the Falkland thing is an early April Fool's joke. NOT FUNNY Mr. Etonian. NOt FUNNY AT'ALL.

*laugh* Mel

Rick McCullough said:

I'll give RW the benefit of the doubt by assuming he was asked about U.S. politics by a reporter and didn't just go off on his own.  Having said that, it's always easier (and sexier) to unload on politics across the pond rather than tend to one's own leaders. 

Why doesn't Waters express the same outrage over Cameron's leadership?  After all, Britain's economy is just as much a basket case as ours, if not worse.  What's more, speaking of foreign policy, he seems to be eager for a re-match in the Falklands.  Where's Crass when you need them? 

• February 17, 2012 5:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh Yuh, well, living in the Colony of Oz (sigh, still no Republic IN SIGHT) we get a gutload of BBC news. We call ours the ABBC, cuz it crowds out our domestic programming to shit.

I reckon Aussies know more about British and Yank politics than their own. Yup, you're right, it's easier to criticise Yankland than tend to your own pile of poo.

Our PM is 'labour' of the new flavour a la Blair. Thanks for that!

Please, please tell me the Falkland thing is an early April Fool's joke. NOT FUNNY Mr. Etonian. NOt FUNNY AT'ALL.

*laugh* Mel

Rick McCullough said:

I'll give RW the benefit of the doubt by assuming he was asked about U.S. politics by a reporter and didn't just go off on his own.  Having said that, it's always easier (and sexier) to unload on politics across the pond rather than tend to one's own leaders. 

Why doesn't Waters express the same outrage over Cameron's leadership?  After all, Britain's economy is just as much a basket case as ours, if not worse.  What's more, speaking of foreign policy, he seems to be eager for a re-match in the Falklands.  Where's Crass when you need them? 

• February 17, 2012 1:00 PM CST
    • Untitled

The Falklands business is rediculous, Argentina is calling for a debate on a resourceless windswept land that is populated by 3,000 British people and close to 0 Argentinians, under UN law it is rightfully British due to self determination. Russia could make a similar claim on Alaska.

In all honesty Cameron isn't great but the Conservatives were left with a dud economy thanks to Labour. I would compare it to a car set on course to drive off a cliff with a new driver and no steering wheel.

What's more Obama came in with Obamamania. The British people couldn't even vote the Tories in on a majority and got the lesser evil. They sure as hell didn't want any more Labour but we now have a coalition with a sellout Lib Dem party.

Rick McCullough said:

• February 17, 2012 3:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 15, 2012 4:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What did Vonnegut say? "Only the crazy want to be President", something like that.

My theory is that (supposedly) the Dems have progressive values sewn up, so the Right has to get crazier and crazier, to cater to the cranky oldsters who almost alway vote, and vote Republican.

They really are off on a planet of their own, Planet Kwazy!

I've heard that, first of all, you need to be rich to run (Ah, here it is, "It costs between $50 million US Dollars (USD) and $100 million USD to begin to ... have decided to raise all their own money to run for president." Link and Here )

Since Obama was elected (and I *actually* voted, and voted for Obama) I've become sooo distrustful of any pols., and intend never to vote again. This lesser-of-2-evils thing is for the birds. Bill Maher said Obama is where Eisenhower was back in the 50s, and the GOP is off-the-charts, God knows where. We are screwed from here on out, essentially.

Glad yer news is covering something essential, ours isn't (I really rely on Twitter for that). The Beltway and their backers have the news circuit sewn up, even Huffington Post or the comics like Jon Stewart are afraid to go too far out in bringing sunlight on these dirty dealings.

Obama won't prosecute Bush, and no-one will prosecute Obama for what he's done.

Our Democratic Prez is furthering Bush's goals, and hollowing out our justice system/individual rights.

The idea of "America" is a sham from here on out (probably was anyway).

Dave

• February 15, 2012 3:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey dave: The situation in the US is followed extremely closely here in Oz. And i have to say, it's nice hearing a non-Oz opinion from our political commentators. It helps me not to get too angry when I hear the news. Sometimes.

That said, I cannot understand, given the population of your country, why there aren't better people running. Sure, I've heard the usual reasons.

But really, are these men and women the best your country has for leaders? Romney is the best the Republicans can muster up? Obama was the best of the Dems? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Then again, would you want that job? Our news is largely ignoring the elections there and focusing on what is going on in Syria. Is the election crowding out real news?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel