Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Punks On Film

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 14, 2014 9:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

In the past month I've re-watched Suburbia and Class of 1984. These have kind of put me in the mood to watch similar stuff. Any suggestions?

I really want to see “We Are the Best!” which just recently came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWWNd-eybN0

Fabulous Stains, Times Square, Repo Man type movies is kind of what I’m interested in. Not punk documentaries per se.

• July 15, 2014 12:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alot of movies that deal with Punks get it all wrong , but that's what' s so fun about them.

'' Breaking Glass"  stars Hazel O'Connor (Former Girlfriend of Hugh Cornwall of The Stranglers and recording artist in her own right.) as a Punk singer whose band takes off , but , when fame happens too quickly ,she loses sight of her ideals , and becomes very Ziggy Stardust - like. Cries of "Sellout !" abound. I first saw it on a double bill with "Rude Boy"in '80 or early '81 ....You've probably seen the latter, but , if not , it deals directly The Clash trying to figure out how not to become absorbed by rising fame and , well , cries of "Sellout !".

"Jubilee" - I have a copy , but it'll only play on my computer , and I watch movies on TV , as God intended.

"Return of The Living Dead" - One of the funnier movies , post - Repo Man , to deal with Punk and get it all wrong , though about half of the soundtrack is great.

''Valley Girl" - REALLY misses the boat with Punk , esp. for L.A., BUT IT'S A FUN TEEN FILM.

The Plimsouls and Josie Cotton mime to a couple of their own songs.

"Neighbors" - Deals with Punk , in passing. John Belushi's innocent , cherubic Daughter comes home all punked out , two tone hair , black leather , a stash of edible panties and "Holiday in Cambodia" blasting on her boom box.

"Cotton Candy" - Not a Punk film , but recommended.  Ron Howard's considerably tame answer to "Rock'n'Roll High School". The music is real nerdy , performed by Charles Martin Smith , who worked opposite Howard in "American Grafitti" (As "Toad"), and stars as an idealistic teen (Who was already about 25 at the time , and looked older , still ...shades of "Happy Days"who goes head to head with the "Bad Guy Band" , who own his High School. The Bad Guy band is played by future members of Dallas Punk/Psych legends , Quad Pi.). Clint Howard ( Rock'n'Roll High School.) co - stars , making it Punk by default. He publically knocked his Brother's choice of music , saying "The Ramones were my kind of people !).

TV - You may know all of these examples , but.....

"Quincy" , "CHIPs" , "CPO SHARKEY" (Don Rickles goes to a Punk club and meets The Dickies. Kid Congo and other LA PUNKSTERS ARe EXTRAS.) , "Sugar Time" (Very SHORT LIVED SERIES. BARBI BENTON AND HER GIRLFRIENDS TRY TO MAKE THE BIG TIME AS A SINGING GROUP. In one episode , they "Go Punk", WEARING GARBAGE BAGS FOR DRESSES , singing "GARBAGE! GARBAGE ! WE WANT TRASH!".....

WKRP in Cincinatti - You've got to remember the episode where the station hires a band from England , The Scum of The Earth , who turn out to be more Power Pop than Punk (Or more like REO Speedwagon...it's been a while.), to do a concert , then find out they like to beat up on members of the audience.

They Young Ones - OK , VYVIAN was not a Punk , despite his being labelled as such. He was more like a latter - day EngliSh Rocker. Not the previous generations' bikes and black leather and 50's R'N'R variety (Hilariously misrepresented in "Quadrophenia" as VERY long haired and bearded, because those were the only extras they could find who could ride !), but people who liked both Metal and Punk , BEFORE IT WAS FASHIONABLE , but leaned more toward Metal. I knew guys like this , from England , and they called themselves Rockers.

Square Pegs - It's not Punk ! It's New Wave ! It's a totally different head !

Johnny Slash , our fearless leader , was the first TV counter cultural icon of his time , even if he appeared to be a poseur (Like Maynard G. Krebs , THEE first counter cultral icon on TV , period .).   Slash , at least , was an EX - pUNK rOCKER.

• July 25, 2014 7:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey, thanks for the recommendations John! I’ve seen most of this stuff, especially all the tv shows. However Breaking Glass and Jubilee are two I’ve never even heard of. I will try and seek them out from my local video rental place who specializes in sort of underground stuff. That way I too can watch them on tv as god intended. I don’t think I’ve seen the Ron Howard film either. Valley Girl, I think I saw this some years ago, but I’m having trouble remembering it.

There is some John Candy movie, where him and Eugene Levy are limo drivers. Anyway there is a scene with Lee Ving in it. John’s character goes into a diner with a bunch of punks, they spray paint all over him, start moshing…etc. Kind of a funny scene. That is all the punk action in the movie, but in my opinion it’s worth watching just because John Candy is in it.

• July 25, 2014 3:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....I VAGUELY REMEMBER THE JOHN Candy / Lee Ving bonding. What movie was that ? I forget.

vING WAS IN "gET cRAZY" , TOO , AS A CARICATURE OF HIMSELF , i GUESS , "pIGGY" , AND DID A PRETTY ROCKIN' "hOOCHIE cOOCHIE MAN" (By FEAR , WHO WERE'NT IN THE MOVIE.. ).  Otherwise, the movie only eludes to Punk (And has the otherwise extremely rare "Chop Suey " by The Ramones.)....Malcolm MacDowell and Lou Reed are in it , too.

"VALLEY gIRL" CAME OUT PRETTY LATE for The Valley Girl craze , BUT IS STILL A PRETTY FUNNY 80'S TEEN COMEDY , ESPECIALLY FOR HOW BADLY Punk IS DEPICTED.

It starred a still little - known , not yet truly annoying , Nicholas Cage as thE male lead (It was best to watch it on TV, they used to censor one scene where he said "FUCK OFF!" , AND Made it say "SCREW OFF ! OKAY? JUST SCREW OFF !!". who says that?).  E.G. Daily (Pee Wee's Big Adventure) is in it , too.

"COTTON CANDY" IS STILL A CULT FLICK , Never had a proper commercial release , and I doubt it was ever re- run on Television , except maybe by local stations in need of time - filler. I don't know.

• July 26, 2014 6:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DESPERATE TEENAGE LOVEDOLLS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhfvfEt7xpI

^ Part 1 of 5.

• August 1, 2014 2:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John, I remember watching "Cotton Candy" when it was first aired:)  I had forgotten all about it until you jogged my memory.  I liked the movie at the time, but it wasn't exactly a cinematic masterpiece.  Guess that's why I forgot aboout it.
      John Battles said:

....I VAGUELY REMEMBER THE JOHN Candy / Lee Ving bonding. What movie was that ? I forget.

vING WAS IN "gET cRAZY" , TOO , AS A CARICATURE OF HIMSELF , i GUESS , "pIGGY" , AND DID A PRETTY ROCKIN' "hOOCHIE cOOCHIE MAN" (By FEAR , WHO WERE'NT IN THE MOVIE.. ).  Otherwise, the movie only eludes to Punk (And has the otherwise extremely rare "Chop Suey " by The Ramones.)....Malcolm MacDowell and Lou Reed are in it , too.

"VALLEY gIRL" CAME OUT PRETTY LATE for The Valley Girl craze , BUT IS STILL A PRETTY FUNNY 80'S TEEN COMEDY , ESPECIALLY FOR HOW BADLY Punk IS DEPICTED.

It starred a still little - known , not yet truly annoying , Nicholas Cage as thE male lead (It was best to watch it on TV, they used to censor one scene where he said "FUCK OFF!" , AND Made it say "SCREW OFF ! OKAY? JUST SCREW OFF !!". who says that?).  E.G. Daily (Pee Wee's Big Adventure) is in it , too.

"COTTON CANDY" IS STILL A CULT FLICK , Never had a proper commercial release , and I doubt it was ever re- run on Television , except maybe by local stations in need of time - filler. I don't know.

• August 1, 2014 8:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , MikeL, "Cotton Candy" was by no means a cinematic triumph. It was Ron Howard getting his toes wet in the fishin' hole called  Movie Direction , in which , of course , he LATER attained respectability and widespread acclaim... I'm sure whoever reviewed it at the time (If anyone did.) must have panned it. Clint Howard said , recently , that he much preferred doing "Rock'n'Roll High School" , which he'd just come back from doing , than he did when shooting began in Dallas (Single Bullet Theory.) on "Cotton Candy". He said "My Brother used Charles Martin Smith's original music because Ron's idea of Rock'n'Roll was Bob Dylan and The Beatles ! I was into The Ramones , tehy were my kind of people !!".

Clint said that he tried to convince Ron to make "Cotton Candy" more like "Rock'n'Roll High School" , musically , but , he would'nt budge....It was a great opportunity for my friend , Mark Ridlen , and the embryonic version of Quad Pi (I don't remember what their band name was at the time.) to play the bad guy band , though all they got to do was the wretched joke version of "I Shot The Sherrif", but , nothing came of it.  I'm convinced it's never been released to VHS or DVD because Ron Howard is THAT embarassed by it.......

• September 7, 2014 11:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend of mine turned me on to an INSANE 1980's psuedo - "Road Warrior" type film from Mexico called "Intrepidos Punks" , and , much like "Quadrophenia" , it appears that they could'nt find Actors or Extras who rode motorcycles , and looked even remotely "Punk" ....Hideous facial hair (That would get them laid like crazy in all 50 states , today.) abounds , as do ridiculous wigs and costumes. The women don't fare any better. Does'nt matter , this movie is muy loco en la cabeza !!!! A "Punk" gang , with BAD ASS customized choppers , pull daring , if ridiculous , robberies (One disguised as Nuns.) and drink , do drugs , have sex parties , and worship Satan , between crimes in their desert hideout. Plus , legendary Mexican Hard Rock/Psych group , Three Souls in My Mind , put in an appearance , posing as a Punk outfit . Or , at least , their drumhead does. It's hard to tell if either of these guys is Alex Llora , Three Souls/El Tri frontman , and basically the kingpin of Mexican Rock and Roll , today.  Either way , this movie is wild and beyong hilarious. There is a copy on You Tube with English subtitles (Yep. I broke code to watch this.).

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel