Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any glam rock fans around here?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 21, 2012 6:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I listened to Alice Cooper when I was 11 years old.

• September 13, 2012 4:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow , dig that production. Could Mike Leander  secretly be alive? I heard they were touring , but , their Visas are probably only good for two weeks , so they have to be selective about where they play.....

• September 13, 2012 3:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out this band Giuda from Italy. Saw em live in Baltimore and they blew me away!

• September 8, 2012 6:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's pretty funny. I briefly had a band going with a female friend who sounded , and even looked , like a female Thunders (Not in an unflattering way...). We have a very good TREX TRIBUTE BAND in Chicago called Futuristic Dragon. They just reformed last year after being away for about 10 years.....in fact , my friend I mentioned was in F.D.'s original lineup. But , as before , a TRex Tribute band , in Chicago, is , unfortunately , like chocolate covered chopped liver. SOMEBODY wants it , good luck finding 'em. For all the hipsters dropping Marc Bolan's name these days , most of them (THINK) they're too cool to see a local band playing his music with sincerity , at least , in Chicago  .   We've also got a good Thunders tribute band called D.T.K. L.A.M.F., comprised of members of The Polkaholics , Iggy Yoakum (Also recently reformed. Only the best Country band in town.) and the late ,great King Vitamin.......They did their first gig one year after Johnny's death. I think they played on the anniversary of his Birthday and ascension say 1n '91 and '92 (As  recall , they played a Bolan tribute show , too.), then, hung it up , until recently . They're playing every few months , now , doing mostly Heartbreakers songs , with a few Dolls and Johnny solo numbers. Sorry for meandering. : )

Jason said:

Thanks. Yeah I love Glam. Trex always puts me in a good mood. I think Prima Donna is alright, there's a group like them kinda.. Dirty Sweet you may want to check out.. they're ok too. There's a really good Johnny Thunders cover band fronted by a girl, I think she looks more like what Johnny was trying to look like than Johnny. They're Chinese Rocks... anyway thanks for the recommendation. 

• September 8, 2012 4:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks. Yeah I love Glam. Trex always puts me in a good mood. I think Prima Donna is alright, there's a group like them kinda.. Dirty Sweet you may want to check out.. they're ok too. There's a really good Johnny Thunders cover band fronted by a girl, I think she looks more like what Johnny was trying to look like than Johnny. They're Chinese Rocks... anyway thanks for the recommendation. 

• September 5, 2012 8:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dang...link dead for your album

Ivan Andreini said:

Any glam rock fans out there can check us out: NERVOUS SHAKES; Our album is on Ratboy 69's blog and our latest vinyl single is on my GPunk page; That's if you like the Dolls/the Undertones/etc; When I was a kid, I saw the Undertones over here in Brussels and they did Gary Glitter 'Rocknroll part 2' Glam forever; Ivan Hold Her

• September 5, 2012 7:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool:)

Mottey's Garage said:

It goes through their entire career. Plus has bonus interviews with roadies, friends, and has the concert from reunion gig as bonus

MikeL said:

Does that DVD show Mott back in their prime, or is it from their recent reunion gigs? Either way, I would like to check it out. I saw Ian Hunter in concert last year, and he still has it.

Mottey's Garage said:

Glam is OK by me, I do a glam podcast about once a month or so. And of course, Mott the Hoople, pioneer punks and later glam stars...have a special place in my heart. Just watch the Mott The Hoople DVD that came out last year...and I do recommend it

• September 5, 2012 7:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It goes through their entire career. Plus has bonus interviews with roadies, friends, and has the concert from reunion gig as bonus

MikeL said:

Does that DVD show Mott back in their prime, or is it from their recent reunion gigs? Either way, I would like to check it out. I saw Ian Hunter in concert last year, and he still has it.

Mottey's Garage said:

Glam is OK by me, I do a glam podcast about once a month or so. And of course, Mott the Hoople, pioneer punks and later glam stars...have a special place in my heart. Just watch the Mott The Hoople DVD that came out last year...and I do recommend it

• September 3, 2012 10:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

plus two live videos on YouTube

Nervous Shakes Do you wanna live at Dna

live aux Combustibles in Paris France (great club);

c'mon feel the noize!

• September 3, 2012 10:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Any glam rock fans out there can check us out: NERVOUS SHAKES; Our album is on Ratboy 69's blog and our latest vinyl single is on my GPunk page; That's if you like the Dolls/the Undertones/etc; When I was a kid, I saw the Undertones over here in Brussels and they did Gary Glitter 'Rocknroll part 2' Glam forever; Ivan Hold Her

• September 3, 2012 10:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mottey's Garage said:

• September 3, 2012 8:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 1, 2012 5:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool:)

Angel V said:

I love Little Steven & Glam Rock! I will have to check out that band.

• September 1, 2012 4:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love Little Steven & Glam Rock! I will have to check out that band.

• August 29, 2012 6:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's a good idea. I kind of doubt it was him. Tho' it could have been a Brother or cousin.

Daniel M said:

@John: I think the Youtube site is maintained by someone in the band. You might contact them through Youtube if you have an account and see if your teacher was in this band.

• August 28, 2012 10:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just found out Prima Donna is finally coming to Pittsburgh.  They will play at the 31st Street Pub on September 27 with the Dollyrots.  I'll have some pictures to share.

• August 8, 2012 12:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

@John: I think the Youtube site is maintained by someone in the band. You might contact them through Youtube if you have an account and see if your teacher was in this band.

• August 7, 2012 8:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I MEANT "GLAM" , NOT "CLAM ". BUT , I COULD'NT EDIT IT. NOT REALLY. 

John Battles said:

Yeah , I agree. It's good Rock'n'Roll , but , nothing spectacular. I would'nt even call it Glam. They adopted a more "Butch" version of The Dolls' look , as though women in LA would'nt want to sleep with guys who looked like THAT (uh , ok.). LA , of course , had Rodney's English Disco , and early bands like Shady Lady....They were probably the most clam - conscious major city in America atthe time....It seems like a lot of the like - minded (But arguably less - rockin') bands in New York that shared stages with The Dolls
       , early on , fell apart before the latter got signed.
      MikeL said:

Any Silverhead fans around here?  I finally got around to checking them out by ordering a CD copy of "16 and Savaged" from amazon.  It's a solid effort by a solid band, if nothing spectacular.  I especially like the opening track "Hello New York," which to my mind sounds like a great title and theme song for a sitcom about someone new to the Big Apple (yeah, that's never been done before).

Anyway, I decided to finally check them out because Michael Des Barres recently released a new CD called "Carnaby Street," and I heard a track from the CD called "Little Latin Love," which really rocks BTW.  I'll probably order a copy of it next month.

• August 7, 2012 7:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I agree. It's good Rock'n'Roll , but , nothing spectacular. I would'nt even call it Glam. They adopted a more "Butch" version of The Dolls' look , as though women in LA would'nt want to sleep with guys who looked like THAT (uh , ok.). LA , of course , had Rodney's English Disco , and early bands like Shady Lady....They were probably the most clam - conscious major city in America atthe time....It seems like a lot of the like - minded (But arguably less - rockin') bands in New York that shared stages with The Dolls
       , early on , fell apart before the latter got signed.
      MikeL said:

Any Silverhead fans around here?  I finally got around to checking them out by ordering a CD copy of "16 and Savaged" from amazon.  It's a solid effort by a solid band, if nothing spectacular.  I especially like the opening track "Hello New York," which to my mind sounds like a great title and theme song for a sitcom about someone new to the Big Apple (yeah, that's never been done before).

Anyway, I decided to finally check them out because Michael Des Barres recently released a new CD called "Carnaby Street," and I heard a track from the CD called "Little Latin Love," which really rocks BTW.  I'll probably order a copy of it next month.

• August 7, 2012 7:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 4, 2012 3:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know it's a tall order , but , I wonder if anyone has a photo of this band? I had an ex- teacher and former friend by that name who would have been in his early 20's around this time , and hung out with Gary Panter's crowd at East Texas State Gulag in the early 70's.....This could have been his band ......But, quite possibly , not. He did tell me he saw The New York Dolls , twice.....At any rate , I think it's the bitchenest Mott rippoff I've ever heard.    I don't think Texas had much of a "Glam" scene , in terms of bands , but , a lot of the Dallas Punk bands were formed by people who came up following the Glam scene , as it were , in their teens and maybe early 20's. My friend  , Mark Ridlen , from Lithium Xmas , was one of those people , and , he said when he went to London in 1976 , he did'nt get the memo about Punk , so , he thought the kids with green hair were some kind of Glam castoffs.

On second thought , I did'nt see the part about the group having released an album.....If it were him , I'd have heard about it , most likely. But , please amuse yourselves with my half baked theories.....
      Joanie Lindstrom said:

Have never seen that name on the various junkshop glam comps.  Some of it reminds me of Mott, not bad.

Daniel M said:

It's hard to keep track of what has been mentioned so far, but the latest Permanent Records email update lists a reissue of an LP by Metz (1974 band from Texas, not the current noise rock band):

• August 4, 2012 3:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DID'NT MEAN TO PHRASE THAT AWKWARDLY , BUT , WHAT I MEANT WAS , MICHAEL MONROE'S BAND , NOW FEATURING SAM YAFFA , STEVE CONTE , AND THE GUY FROM THE HELLACOPTERS (DID'NT FOLLOW THEM , SO , I DON'T KNOW HIS NAME , OFFHAND.) ARE JUST TOURING UNDER MONROE'S NAME , BUT,  THEY'RE SO GOOD , THEY COULD CALL THEMSELVES HANOI ROCKS , AND I DON'T THINK VERY MANY PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN. BUT , DEFINITELY , THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL. HOPE ALL OF YOU , WHO ARE FANS , OR EVEN SKEPTICS , HAVE THE CHANCE TO FIND OUT THAT I'M NOT HEAPING ON FALSE PRAISE.

Duke Of Earl said:

yES! I didnt like the news that dolls were playing with motley crue. Infact it flat out bugged and i refused to go. Now Im glad members split off and joined back in Hanoi. Need to hear when I can see that tour now. 

John Battles said:

tHAT'S VERY COOL , THAT YOU GOT TO SEE HANOI ROCKS IN THEIR PRIME. A STILL - MISUNDERSTOOD BAND. AMERICANS TENDED TO CLASSIFY 'EM AS "METAL". I did'nt get that , either......I almost got to see them , I wanted to , on the strength of 'Malibu Beach Nightmare " , but the show was cancelled , of course , following Razzle's death. But , Sam Yaffa and Steve Conte left the latter - day Dolls to join Michael Monroes's band , after Yaffa refused to tour with Motley Crue  , and most of you know why. End result , Monroe is now fronting an ass- whoopin' band that deserves to bear the Hanoi Rocks name , but , does'nt.

Nero said:

It actually worries me that I can remember this kind of stuff, but I have a feeling that the short-lived band you're thinking of was called Shooting Gallery. Think it was Andy McCoy, Tregunna, the singer was a guy called Billy Bang (? okay, I might have made that bit up), and Jo Dog from Dogs D'Amour was in them for a bit, too. Never heard them or saw them live, so quite why I remember this trivia is beyond me. Probably because I was a big Hanoi Rocks fan, saw them a couple of times in their prime, once at the Electric Ballroom in Camden with a band called Ligotage supporting, whose singer was Beki Bondage from Vice Squad, who were pursuing a similar punk/glam sound.

I guess glam is at the root of it all for me, growing up in Seventies Britain. 'Blockbuster' and 'Hellraiser' by the Sweet were my first two 45s, and seeing Bowie in Top Of The Pops doing 'Starman' left an indelible impression. Funny, though, how bands like Sweet and Slade get referred to as 'bricklayers in eyeshadow' by the early punks (I'm thinking of people like Siouxsie, here), unlike the artier Bowie and Roxy Music.  

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• August 3, 2012 2:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool stuff:)  Thanks for sharing, and I love your name.

LA PLASTIC TEAM said:

Howdy, i'm not going to read the 18 pages, but I hope you checked out the Italian GIUDA, made of members of Taxi, they are totally glam rock a la Slade, etc

• August 3, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Howdy, i'm not going to read the 18 pages, but I hope you checked out the Italian GIUDA, made of members of Taxi, they are totally glam rock a la Slade, etc

• July 31, 2012 5:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My friend turned me on to a Swedish band called The Bad Losers. I don't know if you'd call 'em straight up glam , but , they seem to be Faces , Mott and Hanoi Rocks - influenced , for sure.

Pretty good .

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel