Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: What films/series have you been watching lately?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 23, 2011 12:44 AM CDT
    • Untitled

a bit boring

highly recommended, hadn't laughed so much in about two years

not too bad, loved the cursing and swearing 

great film, saw it in cinema

saw this one last night, fun movie

• June 21, 2013 12:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What did I watch? Hmmm"Mothra Vs. Godzilla" (aaka "Godzilla Vs. The Thing.") , the Japanese version. "A FACE IN THE CROWD " with Andy Griffith , Patricia Neal and Walter Mathau. Andy is OVERTHE TOP !!!!  i THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO START LAUGHING AT HIS OWN JOKES !  

I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS FILM HIGHLY ENOUGH.

JUST FINISHED THE AB FAB box set. YEAH , I'M STRAIGHT.  AND I LOVE AB FAB. WHAT OF IT?!       BUT , TO ASSERT MY MACHO DEMEANOR , I ALSO JUST WATCHED THIN LIZZY , LIVE AT ROCKPALAST , '81. THEY WERE ON THEIR WAY OUT BY THEN , BUT , IT'S A  GOOD PERFORMANCE. PLUS , THEY DO "TRoUBLE BOYS" by Dave Edmunds. 

A while back , I watched "Elvis , Prince From a Another Planet" , a DOCUMENTARY OF , AMAZINGLY , HIS ONLY NYC APPEARANCE (Barring TV spots.) AT mADISON SQUARE GARDEN. HE REALLY PEAKED , EARLY , IN HIS POSTROCK COMEBACK. '69 and '7O WOULD HAVE BEEN THE TIME TO SEE HIM , IF YOU HAD A TIME MACHINE MADE IN vEGAS. IN '72 , HIS MARRIAGE WAS FALLING APART , HE WAS PUTTING ON WEIGHT, HE WAS SELF - MEDICATING , BUT , HE LOOKED AND SOUNDED GOOD IN THE RESTORED FAN FOOTAGE FROM THE MSG CONCERT. LENNY KAYE , WHO ATTENDED THE SHOW , IS BROUGHT IN AS A CONSULTANT , AND WROTE THE LINERS.....TOO BAD NOBODY GOT FOOTAGE OF ELVIS MAKING SNIDE REMARKS AT HIS NEW LABELMATE , DAVID BOWIE , IN FULL ZIGGY CARB (WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!) . THE SET INCLUDES THE TWO COMMERCIALLY RELEASED CDs OF THE SHOW , WITH CLEANED UP SOUND.

• June 10, 2013 1:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fuggin' HEMLOCK GROVE on Netflix is excellent, complex, gory and obviously not made by or for the usual idiots. Also I like GIRLS, NURSE JACKIE, GAME OF TITS...err...GAME OF THRONES

(tons of gore and nudity) 

• June 4, 2013 7:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd never heard of him. What a terrible story , but, it seems  like he got around his severe handicap. Not saying it sounds like he led a full life.....We had a man on the CTA trains they sometimes called "Burnman" , he was hideously disfigured , like someone had thrown acid on him (Which is probable.), or survived a horrific fire. He held a crude sign , saying he was raisng money for surgery. When he died , a few years back , it was revealed that he was offered free reconstructive surgery by a local hospital. But , it turned out , some piece of shit PIMP was pocketing the money "Burnman" collected on the train, and he'd thereatened to kill him if he pursued the idea of getting teh surgery done . BTW , Anyone wanting to read about "The Green Man" , remember to look under "Others " , or you'll be reading about a British Novelist , The President of Trinidad and Tobago , an Aborigine leader , or even Ray Charles !

• June 2, 2013 7:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah, the myths and legends of small towns.  Here's a local legend from Pittsburgh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man)

John Battles said:

Yeah , that's what you tell the cops and the insurance people . "A DEER HIT MY CAR !".

THERE WAS A LEGEND IN THE NEPONSET/KEWANEE , ILLINOIS AREA (It's OK . PEOPLE WHO LIVE MUCH CLOSER HAVE'NT HEARD OF THOSE TOWNS , EITHER. )ABOUT THE DEERMAN . YES , A DEER THAT WALKS LIKE A MAN....SCARY !!!! THERE WAS A MAN THAT WOULD "TERRORIZE" HUNTERS IN A DEAR COSTUME. IT'S A WONDER HE NEVER GOT SHOT.
      MikeL said:

LOL:)  I hope you didn't hit a deer on the way home;)

John Battles said:

Cool. A friend of mine was talking about how the Teen Clubs in Chicago were mob - run. We got to talking about "The Godfather" , "The Sopranos" , etc. , and she excused herself to go use the bathroom . I told her the gun is right above the toilet.

MikeL said:

I'm going to see "The Godfather" for the first time on the big screen at the Oaks.  Yes, I've seen "The Godfather" several times on TV, but now I can finally see it in a theater.

• June 2, 2013 7:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , that's what you tell the cops and the insurance people . "A DEER HIT MY CAR !".

THERE WAS A LEGEND IN THE NEPONSET/KEWANEE , ILLINOIS AREA (It's OK . PEOPLE WHO LIVE MUCH CLOSER HAVE'NT HEARD OF THOSE TOWNS , EITHER. )ABOUT THE DEERMAN . YES , A DEER THAT WALKS LIKE A MAN....SCARY !!!! THERE WAS A MAN THAT WOULD "TERRORIZE" HUNTERS IN A DEAR COSTUME. IT'S A WONDER HE NEVER GOT SHOT.
      MikeL said:

John Battles said:

Cool. A friend of mine was talking about how the Teen Clubs in Chicago were mob - run. We got to talking about "The Godfather" , "The Sopranos" , etc. , and she excused herself to go use the bathroom . I told her the gun is right above the toilet.

MikeL said:

I'm going to see "The Godfather" for the first time on the big screen at the Oaks.  Yes, I've seen "The Godfather" several times on TV, but now I can finally see it in a theater.

• June 2, 2013 5:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

MikeL said:

• June 2, 2013 5:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL said:

• June 2, 2013 8:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 2, 2013 1:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I JUST WATCHED "that 70's show" seasons 7 and 8 , the last two......i WIsH I COULD FIND MORE SEASONS OF "KING OF THE HILL" after season 6....I'm watching "Beavis and Butthead Do America "for the first time in several years. It's better than I remember .Watched a couple of Godzilla movies "Invasion of Astro - Monster" (Monster Zero) and "All Monsters Attack" (Godzilla's Revenge). There's a series with the U.S. and Japanese prints. They did this with a few non - Godzilla titles like "Rodan" , "Frankenstein Conquers The World" and "War of The Gargantuas".

• May 27, 2013 2:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I loved this......"Fish Story"

BUT!!! SPOILER WARNING.....The description the guy who posted the Trailer has put on the page gives the plot away!!!!

http://youtu.be/vC5E4-LRrTk

• April 29, 2013 1:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just watched this very surreal slice of genius. If you get the chance... Watch it. If you get it? you're a better (and stranger) person than me! Soundtrack by the sublime 'Broadcast'

• April 28, 2013 10:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU MEAN SOMETHING EDUCATIONAL ?!!!! YIKES !!!  I KID , I LIKE TO WATCH HISTORY CHANNEL , SOMETIMES . IT SEEMS LIKE HISTORY SHIFTS AND CHANGES , AS OBVIOUSLY , IF SOMETHING HAPPENED OVER 100 YEARS AGO , NO ONE CAN ATTEST TO THE VALIDITY OF PAST STATEMENTS. But , we seem to be learning so much more , now.

MikeL said:

I've been watching "The Vikings" on the History Channel. Cool stuff:)

• April 26, 2013 2:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been watching "The Vikings" on the History Channel. Cool stuff:)

• April 24, 2013 8:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You don't have to go to Egypt to buy Thunderbird by the case..... hic !

I kid , I've got a couple of the feature films. A friend from England was pissed off , because they started showing Thunderbirds on US TV about 15 MINS. AGO , BUT THEY DUBBED THE VOICES SO THEY'D HAVE "EASY TO UNDERSTAND" AMERICAN ACCENTS. Lasted about a month.

Just watched more King of The Hill episodes at random , and some of Boardwalk Empire season two.wATCHED "vALLEY gIRL" AGAIN THE OTHER NIGHT. How they got Preppie culture so right and Punk culture so WRONG....Well , Nicholas Cage was their first mistake , tho' his acting was so bad , it was perfect . Watched "The Great Dictator" with Charlie Chaplin , only to find out the tape I had was one of two parts , even tho' the actual film is only 10 - 20 minutes longer , tops. I know Criterion has it for a fortune.....I can see where The THREE STOOGES GOT INSPIRATION FOR THEIR GREAT WAR PROPAGANDA SHORTS FROM. It's disgraceful that Hedda Hopper was so powerful , all she had to do was say Chaplin was a "Communist" for making an anti - Nazi FILM BEFORE THE US ENTERED WWII , and get his blacklisted for almost his entire life ..... It's both a simple and a powerful film. No one else wanted to deal with the persecution of The Jews  , so , it took a legendary Comic whose film career was all but over , anyway , to say something. There's not even anything about Communism mentioned in the film. The only dictator , besides Hitler , represented in the movie was Mussolini , and one nondescript character who could have been meant to symbolize Franco. Stalin is'nt mentioned.....even with a funny name or countenance. Russia , of course , was still Allied, and newly - made enemies with Hitler.     ANYWAY , IT'S A ROTTEN , PUTRID DISGRACE THAT A FILM THAT SHOULD HAVE HELPED GET THE WAR EFFORT IN MOTION WAS DISCREDITED AS ANTI - AMERICAN PROPAGANDA. Anyway , the real threat Nazism is only touched upon , compared to what The Jews were already going through IN 1939-40. 

What was Hopper , anyway? A Hollywood Columnist OR A Fifth Columnist ?

• April 23, 2013 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend just came back from Egypt with the entire boxset (including feature lenghths) of Thunderbirds. Champion... 5....4....3....2....1... There goes my summer haha

• April 4, 2013 8:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAR 54 , WHERE ARE YOU?! Season two.

• February 10, 2013 11:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Watching Lance Link , Secret Chimp , and suggest you do the same. 

• January 16, 2013 5:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'VE BEEN WATCHING "tHE cOMIC sTRIP" , PAST AND FUTURE MEMBERS OF THE YOUNG ONES , AB FAB , Bottom , etc.  A lot of it is very dry , but I always dug it , especially the WAY SUPERIOR TO SPINAL TAP , NWOBHM PARODY , BAD NEWS. wHEN MTV DID'NT SUCK ABOUT 5% OF THE TIME , THEY'D SHOW THIS AND YOUNG ONES BACK TO BACK .....

Watching "The Pink Angels". It's a rather silly vehicle (No pun) about a Gay Biker gang. But , it's no more silly than alot of "Serious" Biker flicks. Dan Haggerty (Grizzly Adams) co -stars , and , well , he kind of looks like a "Bear".

• January 13, 2013 1:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm watching season one and two of "The White Shadow". i remember Mad Magazine ever ran a joke about how the show flopped BECAUSE IT WAS A GOOD SHOW.....

• December 17, 2012 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Where's Poppa" - Carl Reiner (Dir.) Ruth Gordon , George Segall , cameo by Rob Reiner (Who may LOOK like The Meathead , but , is foaming at the mouth PISSED!). EVEN SHORTER , NONEXISTANT Cameo BY PENNY MARSHALL. Garrett Morris as a member of a very well - dressed group of muggers.

Had'nt seen this movie in years , but , it is FU - UUU - UUUUNNNNN- EEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruth Gordon turns in , possibly , as even better performance than in "Harold and Maude" as the crazy old widow , making her two sons' lives Hell , though , it's hard to tell , sometimes , if her delusions are real of just a put - on. Segall , her one unmarried Son , and therefore , her Guardian , is crawling up the walls, until he (Rather quickly) falls in love with his Mom's new caretaker. He then conspires to put her in a home , which is a word he can't even say.

Santo Contra Magia Negra (Santo Vs. Black Magic) MEXICO , 1973 (?)

This is one of the best Santo movies I've seen . No , seriously....Santo is sent to Haiti on a secret mission to prevent a crime ring from successfully constructing the most powerful bomb on earth.....Which , there won't be much to the earth if their plans go through. The majority of the movie is filmed in Haiti , presumably in or around Port Au Prince.

There's a fantastic parade that makes an ass out of the Mardi Gras , and what appears to be a real Voodoo ceremony (Probably an approximation of one , performed under the guidance of elder members of the Voodoo church , as certain rituals were surely forbidden to be photographed.), are only some of the visual treats in store , along with a great "Psicodelico" (Psychedelic) sequence involving Santo himself , and two great Lucha Libre matches  (Santo had long since retired from the ring in real life  , but , now in his early 50's, he remains in great shape , and able to perform some of his best moves , including jumping off a post and landing on his opponent ,  still a very popular stunt , today.).

Santo , aided by a practitioner in White Magic (Who happens to be Black.) goes to war against an evil Voodoo Priestess , who spaecializes in Black Magic (And happens to be White.), AND HAS SWORN TO ASSIST SANTO'S ENEMIES IN making their dream of world destruction ( Or, one Hell of a bartering tool between The US , China and Russia.) a reality. People mysteriously die and , under the Witches' power , become zombies. NOT radioactive , gut - munching "Zombies" , but , zombies CREATED BY MAGIC , as per the African and Haitian legend. Santo and his friends have their hands full , fighting goons , thugs , zombies and the everpresent Black Magic. It's one of his more serious films , despite what may sound like a silly premise. The photography is splendid (As in "El Mafia Vicio" , a Santo vehicle shot a couple of years earlier  ,in still - stunning Acapulco.) , and the recurring electric guitar music (Not exactly Rock'n'Roll ) is fantastic. 

• November 14, 2012 10:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been watching "King of The Hill" seasons 1-6 (Cos those are the only seasons that seem to have ever been released. Whut Th'Hell? ) , in no special order. You laugh , but I'm almost done , too. I was trying to find the episode where Bobby gets hooked on fake Kosher deli food and gets Gout , and Kahn , Jr. is all pissed off because he can't take her to the dance.

Another favorite episode was the one where LuAnn is swept off her feet by millionaire sausage tycoon , who secretly wants to work her into his sick fantasy , until he's inadvertently killed by sausage grinding blades. Real messed up. 

John Battles said:

Oh , and "Heathers " was a great Black Comedy , even if the very late 80's , arguably , did'nt suck as much as the very early 80's.

John Battles said:

I love "Parents" . The 80's were alive with black comedies , "Neighbors" , "Eating Raoul" ,  etc.

I started watching "The Veil" , a (Criminally) never - aired TV series produced by Hal Roach , Jr. in 1959. Hosted by Boris Karloff , who also starred in every episode , making it more appealing to me than "Thriller" (Though it was a great show.), it reads like a cross between  " The Twilite Zone" , 50's Noir , and , yes , "Thriller" , to some extent. Guest stars include Patrick McGee , and , would you believe , George Hamilton , and many lesser - known but distinctive TV Actors , American and British( One played a G-man on "The Andy Griffith Show".).

Something Weird put this two DVD set out in 2001 , It also contains two episodes of "13 Demon Street " , starring Lon Chaney , Jr.

• November 14, 2012 10:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh , and "Heathers " was a great Black Comedy , even if the very late 80's , arguably , did'nt suck as much as the very early 80's.

John Battles said:

I love "Parents" . The 80's were alive with black comedies , "Neighbors" , "Eating Raoul" ,  etc.

I started watching "The Veil" , a (Criminally) never - aired TV series produced by Hal Roach , Jr. in 1959. Hosted by Boris Karloff , who also starred in every episode , making it more appealing to me than "Thriller" (Though it was a great show.), it reads like a cross between  " The Twilite Zone" , 50's Noir , and , yes , "Thriller" , to some extent. Guest stars include Patrick McGee , and , would you believe , George Hamilton , and many lesser - known but distinctive TV Actors , American and British( One played a G-man on "The Andy Griffith Show".).

Something Weird put this two DVD set out in 2001 , It also contains two episodes of "13 Demon Street " , starring Lon Chaney , Jr.

• November 14, 2012 4:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its great the Maverick filmakers are still being listened to and watched. Film 4 and Studio Canal are just dynamite when they get together. Long live the independents.

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

Got to agree with Mr Climax here, "Dead Man's Shoes" is a really chilling film...and by a bizzarre coincidence I watched "Submarine" this evening...great film...really good stuff..

Andy Climax said:

I watched two very British movies last night. Check'em out. You won't be disappointed. Once you get past those 'crazy Brit accents', you yanks, hehe. First was Richard Ayode's ' Submarine' 'bout a young lad and his growing of age. Second was a really dark movie called, 'Dead Man's Shoes' A real fucked up movie about revenge. Amazing stuff. If you can source the, please do. One you might need subtitles for is a movie i saw recently called 'Small Faces'. Based in Glasgow in the 60's and surrounding a very bloody period in Glasgows past when it was known as 'No Mean City' due to it very violent undercurrent. Enjoy

http://youtu.be/BFwYPhGzNQ4

• November 14, 2012 4:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Got to agree with Mr Climax here, "Dead Man's Shoes" is a really chilling film...and by a bizzarre coincidence I watched "Submarine" this evening...great film...really good stuff..

Andy Climax said:

I watched two very British movies last night. Check'em out. You won't be disappointed. Once you get past those 'crazy Brit accents', you yanks, hehe. First was Richard Ayode's ' Submarine' 'bout a young lad and his growing of age. Second was a really dark movie called, 'Dead Man's Shoes' A real fucked up movie about revenge. Amazing stuff. If you can source the, please do. One you might need subtitles for is a movie i saw recently called 'Small Faces'. Based in Glasgow in the 60's and surrounding a very bloody period in Glasgows past when it was known as 'No Mean City' due to it very violent undercurrent. Enjoy

http://youtu.be/BFwYPhGzNQ4

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel