Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Spotify, Grooveshark, Deezer, etc.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 10, 2013 8:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The online music streaming is gaining ground each day and the songs library of this services, like Spotify, is already huge.

I consider this one of the best news in musical industry since 10 years: the way to ear music online with good quality, at the right price and totally legal.

What do you think about?

There are some band who is take money from those services?

• June 10, 2013 3:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

It's super vague. According to Spotify (on their US website that is) they say:

Spotify pays out the majority (approaching 70%) of ALL of our revenue (advertising and subscription fees) to rights holders: artists, labels, publishers, and performing rights societies...Spotify has direct agreements with record labels, digital distributors, aggregators and publisher collecting societies, to whom we regularly pay royalties, and who then pay recording artists and songwriters according to their specific contractual agreements...we recommend that artists reach out to their distributors to better understand the specific economics that apply to them...In general, however, Spotify pays royalties in relation to an artist's popularity on the service. For example, we will pay out approximately 2% of our gross royalties for an artist whose music represents approximately 2% of what our users stream. A popular song or album can generate far more revenue for an artist over time than it historically would have from upfront unit sales.

It is what it is.

Re: Bandcamp, most checkout plugins/softwares are equipped with the technical/legal/privacy stuff involved with online transactions. It's cool to have a streamlined service like that, but I've yet to hear of it being any band's major source of sales.

• June 10, 2013 2:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha ha ha...so the truth is that evry ply in Spotify or similar give more money to Spotify hitself than to the artist and editors right?

• June 10, 2013 1:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Bandcamp as a service...the ability to easily set up a name-your-own-price download, group tracks into albums and include non music content like sleeve liners, posters and videos and stuff is really great...We have not used their service for physical merch, but it looks equally well designed.....and don't forget they deal with all the legal crap......if you are selling stuff to people you will wind up with confidential information like credit card details and bank account numbers, you then have to keep that information safe.....if you use bandcamp they deal with all that for you....plus your buyers can use PayPal if they want....I know I would like that if I was buying a download from some band I didn't know...also, your buyers can also choose the format of their download, so if they want (say) AAC rather than MP3, they can have it...

As to making money?........I might soon be able to buy another set of strings....

• June 10, 2013 9:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

It's kind of a double edged sword in some ways. My Spotify subscription basically serves as a way to listen to almost anything in the background while I'm at work sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours and I don't feel like carrying a box of tapes, cds, and records back and forth, but it's nowhere near a replacement for actually owning music.

I don't think anyone besides Spotify is making much money off Spotify alone. Different labels have different deals worked out for payouts per play and from what I understand, it's really low.

A couple months ago, one of my friend's bands was on Bandcamps "Top selling new releases of the week" list with only 10 sales. I don't know just how many "new releases" get uploaded a week on Bandcamp, but I imagine it's a LOT. A whopping 10 sales doesn't scream "top new release" to me, but it says a lot about how much people just listen to free stuff and how many actually buy it. 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel