Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Films that live up to their reputation...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 25, 2010 10:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As a kid in the UK, for years I had to put up with reading about Italian Slashers, Cannibal Movies and alot of the Rape & Revenge flicks. We had a pretty messed up film rating system here so there wasn't much chance of getting to see films like The New York Ripper, etc. They banned and cut so many of these films.

There was even a certain amount of controversy when Quentin Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs" was released - It was actually banned from video here for a few years [and that wasn't even that long ago]. Sure, I was able to get my hands on all the sleazy trash on the underground pirate video circuit but then DVD came along, and with my trusty multi-region player I was finally able to watch all these mythical films in complete clarity and see what the fuss was all about.

Usually, the films let me down. There was a selection of films though, that I believe truly lived up to their reputation. These are my personal favourites :

The New York Ripper

They Called Her One Eye

Emmanuelle In America

Cannibal Ferox

Cannibal Holocaust

Last House On Dead End Street

A Cat In The Brain

Zombie Flesh Eaters / Zombi 2

So sickos, are there any that you think i've missed? Feel free to add any to the list...

• July 15, 2010 12:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have read about this movie in the past but i've never actually seen it. I'll add it to my list - Thanks! Lutz Vipinderwoman said:
      I don't know that it has much of a reputation, but The Bandit Queen (1994) based on a true story about a real female bandit (Thuggie?) in India....when it comes to rape and the revenge. Hard to watch at points and a bit a natural tearjerker, but one of my favorites.
    • July 14, 2010 8:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know that it has much of a reputation, but The Bandit Queen (1994) based on a true story about a real female bandit (Thuggie?) in India....when it comes to rape and the revenge. Hard to watch at points and a bit a natural tearjerker, but one of my favorites.
    • July 13, 2010 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As far as blood and guts goes... DEAD ALIVE [aka BRAIN DEAD here in the UK] is probably the goriest film I think i've seen. I probably wouldn't say "camp" but the tongue in cheek tone stops it from being sadistic ala Bloodsucking Freaks. The same would go for EVIL DEAD 2 - which was the first adult movie I snuck into as a youngster. I'd agree with you Sam - EVIL DEAD 2 is definitely up there with the over-the-top classics. I'd put it in the top 3. "SWALLOW YA' SOUL... SWALLOW YA' SOUL..." "SWALLOW THIS!" Sam said:
      Possibly kinda camp, maybe, but Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive", and to a lesser extent "Bad Taste", are undeniable insane movie classics. "Evil Dead 2" is probably my favorite over-the-top horror movie of all time, though.

"Bloodsucking Freaks" is indeed pretty out there, and certainly filled with enough exploitation to make you feel a little dirty for watching it - I hear ya, Zach B. But ever since then, I have wanted to name something Ralphus, that is just one of the most awesome names I've heard.
    • July 13, 2010 2:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Possibly kinda camp, maybe, but Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive", and to a lesser extent "Bad Taste", are undeniable insane movie classics. "Evil Dead 2" is probably my favorite over-the-top horror movie of all time, though.

"Bloodsucking Freaks" is indeed pretty out there, and certainly filled with enough exploitation to make you feel a little dirty for watching it - I hear ya, Zach B. But ever since then, I have wanted to name something Ralphus, that is just one of the most awesome names I've heard.
    • June 29, 2010 4:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, Fight For Your Life sure is one sleazy flick. As for Zombi 2... surely ANY film with a zombie attacking a shark should be in most peoples Top 10 movies of all time! Switchbladesister said:
      They Call Her One Eye! Christina Lindberg rules! and Zombi 2 is one of my favorite movies.

Last House on the Left?
      The Klansman?
      Fight for Your Life?
    • June 29, 2010 1:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They Call Her One Eye! Christina Lindberg rules! and Zombi 2 is one of my favorite movies.

Last House on the Left?
      The Klansman?
      Fight for Your Life?
    • June 28, 2010 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WILD ZERO
      Japanese rocknroll pill poppin zombie slayin crazyness. Soundtrack and starring Guitar Wolf,

ICHY THE KILLER, again weird Japanese headcase movie, Gangsta film with twist, Noted for its freak circus stars, (U KNOW.. the guys who stab themselves with skewers etc and hang upside down..)

CARNIVAL OF SOULS
      Deranged b-movie with great scene shooting! But unless u like B/movie. u aint gonna get it.

The original ''Haunted House'' Super scary, atmospoheric and horrible thoughts, plays lots on sound, and your imagination and 100kph heartbeat!
    • June 25, 2010 12:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah that's a good one. I do think it borders on "camp" though. I just felt that the violence was kinda played for laughs. It does feel like it was made by someone who was pretty insane though - and yeah, it sure is one grubby little flick. Zach B. said:
      Bloodsucking Freaks. I almost had to take a shower after watching that.
    • June 25, 2010 12:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hmmmm... Yeah the Coen Brothers have made some great ones. Blood Simple, Millers Crossing, Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski being my personal favourites. Some of their later ones failed to grab me though. Burn After Reading and No Country For Old Men in particular. I'm looking forward to their remake of True Grit though. kopper said:
      I would have to say any Coen Brothers flick does it for me. I don't think they've ever disappointed me.
    • June 25, 2010 11:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bloodsucking Freaks. I almost had to take a shower after watching that.
    • June 25, 2010 11:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would have to say any Coen Brothers flick does it for me. I don't think they've ever disappointed me.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel