Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Radio What Wave from London, Ontario Canada...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 16, 2016 7:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist July 14 2016

1. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats....Ain't No Rest For Elvis....from their debut CD and the PCSC will be live to air on next week's Radio WW. Last time we had them live on air was 8 years ago! And they'll be doing a live show at the Richmond Hotel on Friday July 22nd in celebration of drummer Nick Perry's birthday!

2. Hiroshima Hearts....The Well.... from their debut CD and they will be playing live at Rum Runners on Friday July 22nd along with Pacanomad and 2 other bands.

3. Frankie & Jimmy.... Death Letter....from their brand new EP/download.

4. Twin Fin....Won't Let You....from their debut CD Whisky Wine and Venom Love and they will be at Home County Festival here in London this weekend.

5. Daddy Long Legs.... Stranger Rides Tonight...from their latest 7" on Folc Records and based in NYC. Played here a couple of months back and were mind blowing!

6. CW Stoneking....The Zombie....from his latest, Gon' Boogaloo and from Australia. One of the best things I've heard this year as this CD is so different than anything else being released in this century. Condolences to CW as his Dad passed away right around the time this aired.

7. Squirrel Nut Zippers....Bad Businessman....from their Hot CD from the mid 90's. Another band that was out of step with time.

8. Joe Hill Louis....Tigerman....from the first Sun Box set on Charly Records and recorded back in 1952. Superb recording by Sam Phillips and JHL's answer to Rufus Thomas' Bearcat which was a hit just prior to this recording. For some odd reason, this wasn't released until the 80's.One man band John Schooley did a very cool rendition of this song about 10 or so years ago. Maybe a couple of you caught Schooley when he played at the Victoria Tavern a few years back along with our good pals Speaking Tongues and Lonesome Ghost. Best show ever at the Vic!

9. Giggleswitch.....Cellophane....from their Lucky CD and they will be reuniting to play Nick Perry's Birthday Bash at the Richmond on Friday July 22.

10. Yeah Bud....Teen Stash....local combo download in a Ramones style of fun.

11. Terminals....Spiderman....from the We Killed CD that collected their early 80's recordings. London Ontario's first hardcore combo.

12. Terminal Licks.....I'll Miss You....from a recent 7" on It's Trash Records.

13. Sadies....Rat Creek....from the In Concert Volume 1 CD and The Sadies are in town to play at Home County Festival this weekend.

14. The Sadies....Song Of The Chief Musician.... as above.

15. The Britemores...Beg Borrow and Steal....from their recent debut CD....from Detroit/Toronto/New York and we hope to do a live to air with this combo in the early fall.

16. The Who.... The Good's Gone.... from the My Generation Lp from 1965.

17. Coaching For Sara.... These People.....from their debut CD and we hope to have this combo on for a live to air sometime soon.

18. The Marvelous Beauhunks..... Fantasy Merry Go Round....from their DO Not Resusciatate CD from a few years back.

19. Low Doses.... Bathroom Stall.... from their recent 7" and this is Paul Collins back up band.

20. 3 O'Clock Train.... Train Of Dreams....from their 1985 EP Wig Wam Beach on Pipeline Records. They will be at This Ain't Hollywood on Sunday.

21. Real Kids....All Kindsa Girls....from their debut 7" from 1977 and still sounds so amazing!! Boston powerpop/rock'n'roll combo that just played the Dirty Water Club in the UK the other day. Pics of the Real Kids and Diodes have shown up on facebook.

22. Real Kids....Common At Noon....flip of the above.

23. Real Kids....Every Day Is A Saturday....from the 1982 LP. Outta Place.

Big thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Back again next week for a 2.5 hour marathon show. We'll be having the PInk Cadillac Scat Cats live on the airwaves plus lots of other surprises!

Here's a link to the archived show:
      https://chrwradio.ca/program/radio-what-wave

• July 22, 2016 8:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist July 21/2016

We had the Pink Cadillac Scat Cats live to air on this episode as they were playing the next night at the Richmond Hotel to celebrate drummer Nick's birthday!

1. Paul MacNeil....Facebook Friend....from Paul's latest set of demos. You might remember Paul from his days with Durango 95, The Purple Toads and El Speedo.

2. Wild Raccoon.... Wood Ghosts....from their brand new release, Half Pine Cone on Howlin' Banana Records and from France.

3. Isolation Party....Tina's Ballad....local combo and from their latest Bandcamp download.

4. Dad Jokes....Hopeless Vacation....from their brand new 7" and from New Zealand. This 2 piece was in town recently opening up for Pack AD at Call The Office.

5. Rock & Roll Monkey and The Robots....She Wants James Dean....from their brand new Snacks release and from Detroit. We've played this combo many times before and this is probably their 5th or 6th release, and all are very cool!

6. Queen Beeva..... Horny One....unreleased demo from 1999 from this London based combo that featured Jeffy B on guitars, Pete Trybus on bass, Tim Hendry on drums and Ann Romph on vocals.

7. 10 Heads....Free...from their Swimming and Singing CD from 2001 and from London Ontario.

8. The Dropouts...Loudmouth Quiet Days...from their 2003 debut CD and from London Ontario.

9. Black Holes....Miss Pearl....live recording from the Brunswick Hotel.

10. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats....I Got A Gal.....recorded live to air.

11. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats.... Ain't No Rest For Elvis....recorded live to air.

12. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats....Oh Boy!...recorded live to air.

13. Black Holes....Super Freak.... live recording from the Brunswick Hotel.

14. Jack Scott....Oh Little One...from The Ballads Of... CD from Bear Family Records.

15. Jason & The Nomads....Carl Perkins....from their Warp Speed Ahead CD from 2006 and also from London Ontario.

16. Hiroshima Hearts....4 Steps Down....from their brand new about to be released 4 song CD.

17. Dustbin Flowers.... Bayside Jenny....from their first self titled CD.

18. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats...Little Red Rooster....recorded live to air.

19. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats...Half Way To Memphis....recorded live to air.

20. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats...Joleena....recorded live to air.

21. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats...Rockabilly Bop....recorded live to air.

22. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats....Nervous Breakdown.....recorded live to air.

23. Lionel Lodge....Speed....a recent single from this former Londoner who presently lives in Austria.

24. King Mastino....Psycho Whale....from a brand new 7" on Beluga Records from this combo from Italy.

25. Coaching For Sara...Look Around....from their recent self released CD and from London Ontario.

26. Suicide.... Frankie Teardrop....from their first LP from 1977 and played on a double dog dare....LOL....This whole set goes out to Alan Vega who passed away earlier this week. First time I heard this song, it scared the shit out of me!

27. Suicide....Rocket USA....from their first LP from 1977.

28. Suicide...Harlem....from their self titled second LP from 1980.

29. Alan Vega....Kung Fu Cowboy...from his debut solo LP from 1980. Primal minimalistic rockabilly chug on the same level as The Cramps and Gun Club in this time period.

30. Alan Vega...Fireball... as above.

31. Alan Vega...Ghost Rider....from his second solo Lp Collision Drive from 1982.

32. Alan Vega... I Believe... as above and had to fade this one out as we ran out of time.

Huge Thanx to the Pink Cadillac Scat Cats from taking the time to come into the studio and play live over the airwaves!! There's a lot of work that goes into these live to airs and as always, it turned out great thanx to the crew behind the scenes....big Thanx to Mike for making it sound so good!!!

Thanx for all the phone calls, facebook messages and emails!!! Back again next week with a regular 90m show, our last show for awhile.

• July 31, 2016 9:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist July 28/2016

1. The Britemores.... On The Radio...from their recent self released CD. From Detroit/Toronto and NYC and they were in town to open for Paul Collins Beat a few months back. Way cool powerpop combo that will be back in the fall sometime, so keep your ears peeled. And this song title is indicative of what we hope to do in the early fall with this amazing powerpop combo!

2. Wild Raccoon....How Do You Feel?...from their recent "Half Pine Cone' release on Howlin' Banana Records from France.

3. Rock & Roll Monkey and The Robots....Detroit Kids....from their brand new release, Snatch and obviously from Detroit.

4. B Girls...Fun At The Beach....from their first 7" on Bomp Records, late 70's with local drummer Marcy Saddy in tow. Appropriate for the weather we've been having lately.

5. Lucy And The Rats....Lose My Mind...brand new release on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.

6. BB Guns...Bang Bang....recorded live on CIUT 2/12/2013 and were based in Toronto.

7. The Zorgs...Cruisin'...from their new CD, Chew On It on Transistor 66 Records out of Winnipeg.

8. Light Bulb Alley.....Mary....from their latest recordings and based out of Montreal. We've had LBA on the radio a few years back.

9. Dynamite Pussy Club....Midnight Hour....recent demo from this Bath UK based trio of madmen!

10. Sulfer City....Whispers...from their brand new Talking Loud LP on Alive Records. Based in Sudbury Ontario, Sulfer City is coming to London on Friday August 12th, Call The Office. And our fave one man rockabilly/spaghetti eating/greasy rock'n'roller Bloodshot Bill is headlining!! See ya there!!

11. Evil Farm Children.....Border Blaster...from their 2008 CD, The Eviling from 2008 and from Ottawa. Sadly defunct, we had the Evil Farm Children play several shows for us here in London and always a good time!!

12. The Baketones.....Bobby Fuller...from their self titled CD from 2010 and from Halfax. Only got to see them once, here at the Black Shire Pub, but they put on one of the wildest shows ever!!

13. Skirt Chasers...Snake Bite...from their self titled debut CD from about 7 years ago and from Toronto. They played our fifth anniversary show many years back!

14. Blue Oyster Cult...Career Of Evil....from their Secret Treaties LP from 1974 and goes out to producers/lyricist Sandy Pearlman who passed away earlier this week. Sandy was heavily involved in the rock'n'roll scene, starting as a writer for Crawdaddy magazine back in the late 60's and set the standard for rock music writing that stands to this day. He was most noted as a producer for many major acts, including the second album by The Clash that set them up for arena rock tours here in North America.

15. The Dictators....Weekend...from their Go Girl Crazy LP from 1975 and produced by Sandy Pearlman. An album that was neglected at its time of release, but has become highly influential over the years.

16. The Dictators....Cars and Girls....as above and my all time fave Dictators tune! Locally, The Boy From Nowhere cover this tune.

17. The Dictators...Baby Let's Twist....from The Bloodbrothers Lp from 1978, and again produced by Sandy Pearlman. BTW, The Dictators played Call The Office June 1, 2002 for a measly $12 at the door, you shoulda been there, it was a Great show!!

18. Harmonica Frank....Rockin' Chair Daddy....from the Sun Box and released back in 1951. In this song, Frank makes a reference to checking the tale of his shirt, which was a somewhat polite way of saying kiss my ass back in 1951

19. Frankie and Jimmy....Sweet Home Chicago....latest recordings from this duo from Hamilton Ontario. We had them live to air about a year or so ago.

20. Howlin' Wolf....Mr Highway Man....again, from the Sun Box and from 1952. I'm a huge mark for Howlin' Wolf....that voice, that guitar, that overwhelming presence, just one of my all time faves!! Many years ago he played Fryfogles here in London, I was too young at the time to get in, but Dixie Flyer Ken Palmer got to meet The Wolf and shake his hand that night! Ken was a big guy, but even he was intimidated by the presence of The Wolf!

21. Jackie Brenston....Rocket 88...again from the Sun Box and possibly the first ever rock'n'roll song as it was released in 1951. Credited to the under aged Jackie Brenston, this was all Ike Turner, from the song writing, arrangement, band leadership and piano playing, but for some reason Sam Phillips put Jackie's name as the artist on the record.

22. Carl Perkins...Dixie Fried....again from the Sun Box and from 1956. One of my fave Carl Perkins tunes and he played this when he came to Fryfogles here in London in the early 80's. I was stupidly up the street at the Cedar Lounge as The Forgotten Rebels were playing that night. Even Mickey DeSadist gave me shit that night for coming to see them instead of Carl Perkins. And right around this time I got totally confused and started playing a Johnny Cash record, then stopped it, then started it.....Radio Screwup!!! It wouldn't be a Radio WW without at least one screwup!!

23. Jerry Lee Lewis....Milkshake Mademoiselle....again from the Sun Box, recorded in 1957 but not released until 1974 when it made it's mark on the teddy boy/rockabilly revival happening in Europe. Jerry Lee played Dr Rockits (now Cowboy's Ranch....LOL) back in the mid 80's and put on a short crowd pleasing show! We were right up front of the stage, right below The Killer's piano. The reason I'm spinning all the Sun material (not just because it's fucking amazing!!) is that our pal Bloodshot Bill had a tour of Sun Studio with Sam Phillips son and got to see some of the inner workings!! Ask Bill about it when he plays here on Friday August 12th at Call The Office.

24. Little Richard....I Need Love....from the Get Down With It Lp from 1966 and Richard is in full blown rock'n'roll soul mode on this screamer!! With so many passings this year, I'm getting worried that Richard of The Killer might be next, so we gotta spin their records while they're still alive!!

Big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Going off the radar for a couple of weeks while we move WW HQ's to a new, secret location! it's a big job moving tons of records, CD's, cassettes, fanzines, comics and ephemera. But should be back onair on August 18th if all goes well.

You can catch the archived show at:

• August 19, 2016 6:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist August 18/2016

Back onair after a 2 week hiatus...Big thanx to Ashley D for filling in and keeping the cool sounds going while we moved WW HQ. Records/CD's/K7's are all shelved and ready for playing! Ephemera will take quite a bit longer....

1. The Zorgs....Spies Are Lurking....from the excellently titled Chew On It CD on Transistor 66 Records outta Winnipeg.

2. Dynamite Pussy Club....Well Well....song these upstarts from Bath UK sent us awhile back...they've got a new cassette coming out momentarily.

3. Magic Sam....All Night Long...from The Essential Magic Sam CD and indeed it is! This particular track is from 1958 and originally released on the Cobra label. Way cool blues meets soul sounds from this guy that passed away way too young! Check out just about anything from Magic Sam if you dig these kinda sounds as you won't be disappointed.

4. Legato Vipers....Angel Dust...from their self titled CD and from the Cambridge/Kitchener area of Ontario. It's a full CD of guitar instros that rock!

5. Tim Gibbons....Psycho Sundown....from his Dead Guy Won A Muffin CD from 1993. Tim is from Hamilton and has played in such elite combos as The Shakers, Trouble Boys and even Junkhouse!

6. Bloodshot Bill...Hypnotize....from his brand new Guitar Boy on Norton Records. Bill was in town at Call The Office last friday and as always, put on a Killer show!! It was way too hot and rainy that night, so attendance was down a bit, but well worth it for the people that made it out.

7. Deja Voodoo....Monsters In My Garage....from their very first 7" from 1982. Montreal duo who coined the term sludgeabilly and formed OG Records, one of the best ever record labels out of Canada! BB played this song at the show and dedicated it to us.

8. Hasil Adkins....No More Hot Dogs....from the Out To Hunch LP from 1986 on Norton Records. Another tune that BB played live at the show! Just before Hasil was killed, BB and Hasil were workin' out the details of them touring together....

9. Slim Sandy....Sweet Rockin' Mama....from a tune that SS sent us recently. Many of you may know this character from his days behind the kit in Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.

10. Bloodshot Bill....Big Eyes Crazy Curls....again from BB's latest, Guitar Boy, available at fine record stores everywhere or direct from Norton mailorder.

11. Coaching For Sara....Tonight's The Night....from their brand new self titled CD. Local combo who will be at the Tillsonburg Fair on Saturday.

12. Popular Mechanix....Ice Box City....demo from around 1980 from this Winnipeg trio all about living/surviving in Winnipeg. They released 2 LP's and even came through London and played a weekend at the Cedar Lounge, sounding more mod than the powerpop of their records.

13. Los Chicos Problema....Le Plan...from their CD Estremecete y Rueda! from a year or so ago. A 2 piece combo from Mexico.

14. Shanker and Romps....Gonna Ride My Bike...from their Pancakin' CD from 2007 and from Ottawa. We had S&R playing one of our Battle Of The 2 Piece Bands several years back, and they were a TON of fun live!

15. Satan's Cheerleaders....Tribute To Elvis....from a 7" and also on their Infinity CD on SFTRI. West coast combo who released several singles and later a couple of CD's and this is the start of our tribute to Elvis set, as Elvis passed away 39 years ago this week.

16. Gun Club....For The Love Of Ivy....from the Fire Of Love LP from 1982. Bought this right when it came out due to a really good write up in NYRocker magazine/newspaper. There were comparisions to The Cramps and that's all it took to get me to grab this one when it showed up locally at Records on Wheels! And repeated listens over the years haven't diminished its pleasure to my brain!! Played this particular track for the line "all dressed up like an Elvis from hell' which gets repeated several times. Many of us were guilty of that look back in the early 80's! 1984 saw The Gun Club play Mingles here in London, with Kid Congo on guitar and Patricia Bag on the bass if memory serves me correctly.

17. Supreme Bagg Team....Crankin' For Elvis...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood, an Lp we put out with OG Records back in 1989. ELVIS, that's the way to spell success!!! Guitarist Dave is now in the re-formed UIC whom many of you are going to see next month in Toronto.

18. Jane Doe....There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis....local release from 1988 and featured several local artists from such combos as The Zellots, Ukase, 63 Monroe and even Juno Award winner Dan Brodbeck was involved!

19. Elvis Presley.....Mystery Train....from the Complete Sun Sessions double LP and this song is from 1955. It still sounds so good after over 60 years!

20. Newport Electric....One Of A Million....from the So It Goes CD from last year. Guitarist/vocalist John challenged me to post an LP cover of an LP that I thought was great on facebook....and I posted a pic of....

21. The Monks....Monk Time....from the Black Monk Time LP from 1966 on Polydor Records out of Germany.

22. The Monks....Oh How To Do.Now... as above.

23. The Monks....I Hate You... as above.

24. Hiroshima Hearts....Fool Me Twice....from their brand new Bone Music CD and from London. You probably heard them play live to air on Radio WW a year or so ago, if not, caught them live around London as they seem to be getting some well deserved high profile opening slots.

25. Gun Club...Sex Beat....from Fire Of Love as above, and we had to fade this out as we ran out of time....

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!

• September 2, 2016 1:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist September 1 2016

1. Archie and the Bunkers....Table...from the brand new Mystery Lover release on Dirty Water Records out of the UK. Second week in a row for these teenagers to start the show with a bang!! Gotta see these kids live sometime soon....

2. The Mongrels....All Systems Go....demo and they will be playing on Sunday at 4PM at the Richmond Tavern as part of the Rock'n'Roll Rent Party.

3. TVD....I'd Kiss You Honey But You're Standing On My Bottom Lip....from their brand new CD Salvation Through Distraction. This is a cover of a Keith Whittaker song from his only solo CD.

4. Coaching For Sara...Sister Won't....from their recent self titled debut CD. Decided to play one of their reggae influenced tunes instead of the usual powerpop as they did this live when I caught them at the Richmond Tavern the other day. Did a splendid job on this one and the whole show! One of London's best kept secrets and you can catch them live later in the month....details soon.

5. Hiroshima Hearts...4 Steps Down...from their recent Bone Music CD and they will be playing Wednesday at RumRunners opening up for The Lazys from Australia. And again next friday at the Western Fair here in London.

6. Mightabins....Outsider...from their brand new Beach Party CD and they are from Toronto.

7. The Tranzmitors....Some Girls...from a 7' from about 10 years ago and features Fergus Macleod on bass and background vocals. Fergus has reformed his late 70's combo, The Strike and they are playing next friday at Call The Office along with the UK Subs.

8. Emergency...What You Gonna Do...from their 1234 LP from 2005 and also features Fergus Macleod on bass and vocals.

9. Hipbone Slim and The Knee Tremblers...There's Only One Louie Louie....from their recent Ugly Mobile release on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.

10. Lou Reed....Kill Your Sons....from his 1974 Sally Can't Dance LP and features Prakash John on bass, Danny Weiss on guitar and Michael Fonfara on keyboards. All 3 of these guys were in town on sunday at the Bluesfest rocking out as Canada's finest R&B combo. The Lincolns!! They put on a super show sunday and the lead vocalist of the band mentioned that all 3 played with Lou Reed and they broke into a little bit of 'Take A Walk On The Wild Side'. Catch The Lincolns live if you get a chance as you won't find a tighter band anywhere!

11. Magic Christian....Teenage Head....from their 7" on Schizophrenic Records out of Hamilton Ontario. When Magic Christian played Hamilton Jan 20/2009 they did a little bit of recording and this is one of the songs. Features Michael Fonfara on the keyboards, Cyril Jordan (Happy Birthday!) on guitar, Gord Head on guitar, Clem Burke on drums, Eddie Munoz on bass and Paul Kopf on vocals.

12. Flamin' Groovies...Let Me Rock...from their recent 7" and for Cyril's birthday!

13. Eddie Floyd....Raise Your Hand....from a Greatest Hits CD and from 1967 and the Lincolns closed with Eddie's best known song, 'Knock On Wood' so I had to close this set with one of my fave Eddie Floyd tunes.

Right around this time, Jeff Mittleholtz of The Bath Salts joined me to yammer about their brand new CD, called Mardis Gras. They were joined by lots of ace local musicians like Blair Heddle (Rizdales, Stetson Brothers), Kevin Dunklee (former Carnie) and lots more. You'll be able to pick the CD up at Speed City, Village Idiot and Grooves momentarily.

14. Bath Salts....Cool Like The Music...from the brand new Mardis Gras CD and my fave tune from this release.

15. Bath Salts....Jesus Took Me Drinking.... as above.

16. Bath Salts...We Should Surf... as above.

17. Fuad and The Feztones....Little Sally Walker...from their In The Valley Of Kings 7" on Ricochet Sound and from 2002. Fuad and the Feztones will be playing this sunday at the Modfest happening in Montreal.

18. Fuad and the Feztones...Allah Mode... as above.

19. The Fleshtones....Soul City....from their Hitsburg Revisited CD from 1999. The Fleshtones have a brand new release, just out today....The Band Drinks For Free.

20. The Crystals....Da Doo Ron Ron... from a 7" and you all should know this song.

21. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots.....Ya Never Know...from their brand new Snacks release and out of Detroit.

22. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants.....Back To The Beach....from a demo from a few years back and JT and the BL celebrate 20 years as a band next weekend at Call The Office. Also on the bill, The Unlabeled, Castor Troys and The 905s make their long awaited return to London!

23. 905s....Rock'n'Roll Product....from a demo from 2008, and as mentioned above, will be returning to London September 10th Call The Office.

Big Thanx to Jeff Mittleholtz of Bath Salts for coming on air to yammer! And a big thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!
      Back next week with some of the members of Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants.

• September 9, 2016 9:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist September 8 2016

1. TVD...Smoke Weed....from their brand new CD, Salvation Through Distraction. Local combo of well rehearsed and seasoned veterans playing what they want.

2. Light Bulb Alley....Lost My Girlfriend....from their brand new Bright Side Of The Dumpster CD that came out last night at their CD release party in Montreal. We've had these guys as guests on Radio WW a few years back, and hope to get them back to London again for a show sometime soon. You'll be hearing lots more from this release!

3. The Hookup...Go And Hide....brand new recordings from Saskatoon's The Hook Up and slated for their next release Cruel Sounds. We had this combo on a live to air here at Radio WW several years back and that recording actually came out as a cassette not long after. Coincidentally, both The Hookup and Light Bulb Alley released their very first CD's on Ricochet Sound (Montreal, Gruesomes label) at the same time, and now both have brand new recordings simultaneously.

4. The Embrooks.... Helen....brand new 7" on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.

5. Muck and The Mires...I'm Your Man....from a brand new split 7" on Dirty Water Records with the Fadeaways from Japan. Muck is from the Boston area and have played this area at least once.

6. Charlie Harper....Freaked....7" on the Ramkup label from 1981. Charlie and his UK Subs are playing tonight at Call The Office here in London. First time here in a long time....

7. UK Subs...Organized Crime....from the Demonstration Tapes LP from the early 80's.

8. UK Subs....CID...from the Another Kind Of Blues LP from 1979 and believe this was their first LP. First caught the UK Subs at the Cedar Lounge here in London around 1982. Opening up was a band we weren't familiar with, but were told they came from the UK....Anti Nowhere League. These guys were fucking amazing, playing straight 77 punk at a time it was no longer considered cool! Hate filled testosterone fueled lyrics with buzzsaw guitars and dressed in the finest bondage and leather gear available! Fucking blew my socks off they were so much fun!!! Kinda took the edge off the UK Subs appearance later on in the show.

9. 905s...Running Full Speed....from a 2013 recording just for Radio WW. Around this time I yammered about how much I dig the 905s, so here's another ramble on....First heard Andy Butler (prior to naming the band 905s) back in the myspace days, doing this amazing powerpop ode to Teenage Head called Hamilton Head! Blew my mind at the time and couldn't get this one out of my noggin'. Got in touch w/Andy and we've been pals since. Invited the band to play what was billed as the Betty Page Birthday Bash almost 10 years ago and they wowed all in attendance! Guitar driven powerpop and rock'n'roll and actually coming out of Canada! Invited them back for another couple of key shows, that being A Nite Of Teenage Rock'n'Roll with Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants and again, they along with JT tore the house down! And when we were arranging Paul Collins Beat's firs appearance in London, who should get the nod as one of the opening bands but the 905s where they fit right in. Paul Collins raved about the band and coming from him, that means a lot!! So we've got The 905s returning to London this saturday night at Call The Office, opening up for Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...not to be missed!!!

10. 905s....Weekend Comes...from the 2009 CD Break Out!

11. 905s...What Are We Receiving...from the 2015 CD Shake Down and their latest.

12. 905s...Hamilton Head....as above. This is a new recording of a song they originally did over 10 years ago.

13. 905s...Coney Island High...from the New Test Sounds Cd from 2007. This song is really cool mixture of the NYDolls meeting up with The Dictators and we come out the winners!

14. Castor Troys.... Broken Black Heart...from their recent Come Hell Or High Water CD and they will also be appearing saturday night with JT and the Bad Lieutenants and the 905s. In fact, guitarist Chris Ledroit was at one time in the 905s and he will be guesting with the band at the show, as well as playing in another band, The Unlabeled making a reunion appearance.

15. UIC....Anything At All....from the soon to be released Wiseman Sessions LP. It's going to be on the Yeah Right! record label, run by Tony Lima of CHRW's Solid Action radio show (on right before Radio WW). These are the 1989 recordings with Bobby Wiseman that were supposed to come out years ago....finally it's about to happen.

16. UIC....Lite It And Fly....as above.

17. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants....Back To The Beach....live recording from 7/27/2012 at Call The Office. JT and the boys were supposed to show up for an onair interview but didn't make it.

18. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants....Please Don't Touch.... as above.

19. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants....El Camino Warrior....from a 7" on Speed City Records.

20. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Enigma Machine....from a split 7" on SKR Records.

21. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes... as above. And JT and the boys are playing saturday night at Call The Office as their 20th anniversary as a band.

22. Emergency.....I Ain't Listening....from their 1234 LP and from Vancouver. Vocalist/bassist Fergus Macleod will be in London on friday night, opening up for the UK Subs with his re-united The Strike.

23. Bath Salts....Cool Like The Music....from their brand new CD, Mardi Gras. We had vocalist/guitarist Chris Mittleholtz live onair last week's show.

24. Bobbyteens....Liquid Love...from their Not So Sweet LP on Screaming Apple Records. From San Fran and features Tina and Danielle from the Trashwomen and drummer for everyone Russell Quan...

25. Bobbyteens....Jenny...from their Cruisin' For A Bruisin' LP on Screaming Apple Records.

26. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots.... Liquify...from their brand new Snacks release and had to fade this out as we ran outta time...

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Back again next week for more noise to annoy.

Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants, The Unlabeled, Castor Troys and The 905s are at Call The Office on saturday night.

• September 23, 2016 6:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist September 22/2016

1. The Franklys....Weasel....from a compilaton CD called Just What The Doctor Ordered that came with the latest edition of Vive Le Rock! magazine from the UK. This particular issue has a big long interview/article on Dr Feelgood and has a general pub rock ambience. The Franklys are from the UK.

2. TVD....I'd Kiss You Honey But You're Standing On My Bottom Lip...from their brand new Salvation Through Distraction CD and they are from London Ontario. TVD are their initials and you can catch them every now and again at Call The Office here in town.

3. Bath Salts....2 Red Roses....from the brand new Mardi Gras CD and also from London. In fact, we had guitarist/vocalist Chris on air a coupla weeks back to premiere this CD.

4. Coaching For Sara....These People...from their recent self titled CD and also from London Ontario. They have a few shows this weekend, including 2 tomorrow night...check their facebook page for details.

5. Flamin' Groovies....And Your Bird Can Sing....from the Gold Star Tapes EP on Skydog Records. This is the start of our Beatles covers set as their is a Beatles Fest happening here in London this weekend. Also a display happening at Weldon Library at Western University here in town with a few of our collectibles on display for a month or so. Pictures to follow at some point.

6. Siouxsie and The Banshees....Helter Skelter....from the 1978 Scream LP, an album that got TONS of play at our place when it first came out!

7. Wilson Pickett....Hey Jude....from the Duane Allman Anthology double LP and this recording is from 1968. A Muscle Shoals recording and there's a doc on Net Flicks on this studio that's well worth checking out.

8. Flamin' Groovies....There's A Place...from their 1978 LP Now. The Groovies were one of the few combos on a major label hyping the 60's Brit invasion sounds in the mid 70's and lucky for us (or maybe just me?), they're back together still pumping out the sounds! Check out guitarist Cyril Jordan's column in the brand new Ugly Things that just came out a coupla weeks back....locally Grooves Records stocks it.

9. The Hook Up....Bellringer....from their soon to be released Cruel Sounds CD. This goes out to the brand new addition, Frances who arrived early this week!

10. Light Bulb Alley....I Only Got 2 Feet...from their brand new Bright Side Of The Dumpster CD and from Montreal.

11. The Cavemen....I'd Kill....brand new 7" on Dirty Water Records out of the UK, but these kids are from New Zealand.

12. UIC....Heartache...from the about to be released Wiseman Sessions LP on Yeah Right Records. The big party happens tomorrow night in Toronto with UIC playing The Horseshoe along with Leather Uppers and Adaptor 45. First UIC Toronto show in 20 years! Be there or....

13. UIC....What I Want....from a live recording 3/16/1985 at Call The Office here in London Ontario. At one point there was video of a couple of these songs on youtubes with some long haired geezer dancing like a buffoon at the front of the stage. Think I saw that same geezer at the Barrence Whitfield and The Savages show in Hamilton the other night with the same dance? moves.

14. UIC....Crop Dusting....as above and an anthem for UIC fans!

15. UIC....Shamrock Bang...as above and another UIC anthem!

16. UIC....I Got Nerve....as above and I certainly do for playing 5 UIC songs in a row! Self indulgence that satisfies the soul!

17. Brown Hornets....Rooftop Sniper....from their only release, the self titled CD from 2007. From Oshawa and played here a few times, always bringing the roof down with their screaming rock/soul/dance sounds!!

18. Humble Pie....Black Coffee....from the 1973 double LP Eat It! Vocalist Steve Marriott (you all remember him from The Small Faces, one of the greatest combos to come out of the UK in the mid 60's!) insisted on having some female back up singers on this one, and they really added to the sound! And the young ladies did the next Humble Pie tour as well!

19. Etta James....Security...from a Greatest Hits compilation on Chess Records and from 1968 and recorded at Muscle Shoals.

20. The Inmates....Mr Unreliable...from their 1979 LP called First Offence. The lead off track on this LP is a cover of The Standells Dirty Water that got loads of airplay when released.

21. Barrence Whitfield and the Savages....Bloody Mary....from their 1989 LP Live Emulsified on Rounder Records. Had the immense pleasure of catching these guys at This Ain't Hollywood on tuesday night...haven't danced so much since the last time BW and The Savages came to Canada!! Loads of fun, grins all around and people boppin' up and down like it was back in the early days of the punk rock era!!! Can't wait till they come back up this way!

22. Barrence Whitfield and the Savages....Rockin' The Mule In Kansas....as above.

23. Chixdiggit!....I Remember You....from their 2005 CD, Pink Razors and they are in town sunday night at Call The Office.

24. Buzz Deluxe....100% Something....from their Us Against You CD from 2008 and from somewhere north of Toronto. Rockabilly duo that used to play London fairly regularly.

25. Hasil Adkins....Gone Gone Gone....from his What The Hell Was I Thinking CD on Fat Possum Records from 1997. Indeed, what the Hell was Hasil thinking when he recorded this one....LOL....Hasil was the King of the one man bands before there was even such a thing. Dig out your old What Wave zines to read an interview or 2 with Hasil and then check out some of his many releases on Norton Records.

Big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! And big Thanx to the Boy From Nowhere for rockin' the St Regis Hotel last saturday night!

Back again next week with lots more noise to annoy!

• October 7, 2016 5:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist October 6/2016

1. Coaching For Sara....These People....from their recent self titled CD and they will be at the Eastside on Sunday Oct 23rd.

2. Long Day Journey....God Is Alive And Well and Living In A Sugar Cube....from the about to be released Grows Their Own CD. Hamilton psychedelic band and this is at least their 3rd release.

3. Muck And The Mires....I'm Your Man...from a recent split 7" with The Fadeaways on Dirty Water Records.

4. Embrooks....Helen....from a recent 7" on State Records and out of the UK.

5. The Johnnies....Your Girl....brand new download from this Toronto combo via the far North.

6. The Mobbs....Taste The Truth...from their brand new release, Piffle on Dirty Water Records.

7. The Cramps....Get Off The Road...from the 1986 Kizmiaz 12" and goes out to Herschel Gordon Lewis who passed away recently. A version of this song was used in his She Devils On Wheels movie.

8. King Mud....Keep It Out Of Sight....from the CD compilation Just What The Dr Ordered that came with the recent Viva Le Rock magazine.

9. Red Arms....Hindsight...from their recent 7" on Yeah Right Records and from London Ontario.

10. Ancient Shapes....Public Hymns....from their brand new 12" and from Toronto. Daniel Romano and his powerpop record.

11. The Undertones....Crisis Of Mine...from their third LP, Positive Touch from 1981.

12. The Ramones....I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend....from their very first LP from 1976 which has just be re-issued in various formats...ie mono, stereo, probably even a version that brings the brothers back to life as everyone cashes in .

13. The Britemores....Beg Borrow and Steal.....from their recent self titled CD.

14. Pagliaro....Loving You Ain't Easy....from his (one of many) self titled record from 1971 and Pagliaro made a very rare appearance in Toronto last thursday eve. One of his very few in English speaking Canada.

15. Mightabins....Beach Party....from their recent Beach Party CD and from Toronto.

16. The Wave.....Walk....demo from a Kapuskasing Ontario combo that features the son of Brodie Lodge, a former Londoner who was in The Catch amongst other combos.

17. Archie and The Bunkers....Sunglasses After Dark....from their recent Mystery Lover release on Dirty Water Records. 2 teenage brothers from Cleveland that are rocking the musical world.

18. UIC....Anything At All...from the brand new Wiseman Sessions LP that just came out on Yeah Right Records. Available locally at fine record stores or direct...insert features a coupla pics from the What Wave Archives, but you gotta buy the record to see the pics. Limited to 500 copies!

19. MC5....Sister Anne.....from the High Times LP and a huge influence on UIC.

20. Brian McMahon....NYDNY....from his 17 Volts CD from 1996 and he was in original punkers Electric Eels way back in the mid 70's.

21. Joe Clay....Ducktail....from an RCA Victor compilation of early rockabilly. RIP to Joe Clay.

22. Bloodshot Bill....The Wobble....from his latest LP on Norton Records, Guitar Boy. BB was influenced by Joe Clay and even does a song by him....

23. Joe Clay....16 Chicks....from the above RCA compilation LP.

24. The Ramonas....Run Run Run.....from their Out Of The Basement LP from 1990 and probably the first combo to use this name.

Big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!

Next week we're doing a live to air with man about town, Frank Ridsdale. He was in the highly influential Uranus that released a few 7" records and an LP and were the first new wave/punk combo to play the Cedar Lounge back in 1978....

• October 15, 2016 3:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 13/2016 w/Frank Ridsdale Live To Air

1. Isolation Party.....Tina's Party....recent demo from this local band who are playing Tuesday night at Call The Office, opening up for Sonic Avenues.

2. Sonic Avenues....Close To You....from their self titled 4 song CD on Ricochet Sound from 2007. These guys are from Montreal and were on the same label as The Gruesomes.

3. Sonic Avenues....On Your Grave...from their self titled LP on Going Gaga Record out of Ottawa and from 2009. It was right around this time Sonic Avenues made their first appearance here in London at the long gone Moon Over Marin club that was on Dundas St.

4. Light Bulb Alley...Lost My Girlfriend...from their brand new Bright Side Of The Dumpster CD and from Montreal.

5. The Hook Up....Bellringer....from their soon to be released CD and from Saskatoon via Hamilton, London, Montreal and many other places.

6. Florida Razors....American Girl....from their Beat Music L from 1986 and features Tom Wilson on vocals and rhythm guitar. Tom was in town last night with his Lee Harvey Osmond group at the Aeolian Hall and put on a Killer show!!

7. Blackie and The Rodeo Kings....Lean On Your Peers....from the Kings of Love CD from 1999 and another Tom Wilson combo which is still active to this day. There's references to Frankie Venom and his downfall prior to his passing.

8. Tom Wilson....In Love With The System....from the Dog Years CD from 2006.

9. Tom Wilson....Sex Drugs Etc....from the Planet Love CD from 2001.

Right around this time, all the kinks were ironed out and we had Frank Ridsdale live in the studio and playing over the airwaves. Big Thanx to all involved in making this happen....Adam the sound engineer, Ando for allowing it and assisting with some kinks, CHRW Manager Tim Glasgow for assisting with some last minute kinks and of course Frank Ridsdale for taking the time to come into the studio and play some amazing tunes over the airwaves!!

10. Frank Ridsdale...Where Did You Hide It?

11. Frank Ridsdale....the brand new song he finished writing on the way to the studio.

12. Frank Ridsdale.....Little Red Riding Hood....by special request from the annoying DJ.

13. Frank Ridsdale....Not Fade Away

14. Frank Ridsdale....Turtle Beach.

15. Frank Ridsdale...I'm Ready

16. Frank Ridsdale...Mystery Train

17. Frank Ridsdale....Be Bop A Lula

And right around this time, Frank Ridsdale came into the DJ both to talk about his upcoming show the next night and the one next thursday at the Wortley Roadhouse with his combo Slugfest. We talked about stuff and things, Frank's pivotal role in getting punk/new wave bands into the Blue Boot Hotel (which became The Cedar Lounge) back in the late 70's. The art display that opened in Hamilton at Hammer City Records the next day featuring the artwork of Lyndon Andrews (who did most of the early Uranus and Demics posters) and many of the bands that Frank has been involved with in his 40 year musical career! Catch Frank live if you can, he's always fun and more than willing to take requests from the audience.

18. The Stetson Brothers....Apache....live recording from somewhere featuring the talented Jerry Fletcher on lead guitar.

19. Uranus....Tommy Get Your Gun....from their very first release, a 4 song 7" from 1978. This is the same combo that had a top 10 hit in 1980 with You're So Square!

Big Thanx to Frank Ridsdale for coming onair live and thanx to all our listeners and all those crazies that email, facebook message and say HEY on the street and at shows!! It's all for fun and this was a really fun show with Frank....did you know Frank's band, The Sci-Phonics played in our basement about 30 years ago? The show was a blast for all attended as Rena was teaching ESL to adults back then, and some of them even came for the party! Did you know that Uranus was the fave band of the bikers from this area of Ontario? And they'd regularly attend shows and even invite the band to play at their gatherings! And that Uranus was the first rock'n'roll band to play at the Blue Boot and opened the doors for the punk/new wave combos to finally have a regular place to play!

• October 21, 2016 5:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist October 20/2016

1. Lee Harvey Osmond....Shake The Hand....from their most recent CD, Beautiful Scars on the Latent Recordings label. Caught the band last friday night at the Aeolian Hall and it was a superb perfomance; 49 tons (reference to the third song of the evening)of energy, excellent sound, fantastic playing and loads of interplay with the crowd!! One of the best shows we've witnessed in 2016! And it was fresh off a double sold out show in Nashville the previous night, so the band was on! Hamilton Ontario should be proud!!

2. 24th Street Wailers....Aim To Please....from their Wicked CD from 2014 and they are playing a Legion in Chatham Ontario tonight!

3. Chuck Berry....Back In The USA....from The Great 28 double LP on Chess Records and recorded back in 1959. Happy 90th birthday to Chuck Berry. And on a related but much sadder note, we say goodbye to Phil Chess, one half of the Chess Brothers, the founders of Chuck's early label, Chess Records. One of the most influential record labels ever, and at one point, home to Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Etta James, Willie Dixon, Little Walter and so many more talented artists!

4. Flat Duo Jets....TV Mama....from the 1991 CD Go Go Harlem Baby. One half of the Flat Duo Jets is Dexter Romweber who just released another LP on Bloodshot Records.

5. Bloodshot Bill....The Wobble...from his latest LP, Guitar Boy on Norton Records.

6. Strange Things....Higher Anxiety....from a brand new 7" on La Ti Da Records and from Vancouver.

7. Long Day Journey....The Balloon Ride....from their about to be released CD, Grows Their Own and from Hamilton Ontario.

8. The Stents..... Sorry, I'm Not Sorry....from their brand new Invisible Sounds releaseon KOTJ Records. From Philidelphia and they've released a couple of 7" records on Hidden Volume Records that we've played here on Radio WW.

9. The Wave....Walk....from a download and from Kapuskasing Ontario. The son of former Londoner Brodie Lodge is in this band.

10. Patsy's Rats.....Rock'n'Roll Friend....another brand new 7" on La Ti Da Records and this combo is from Portland. Howie Gelb's daughter is doing the vocals on this one!

11. The Flintettes.....Same Faces....yet another brand new 7" on La Ti Da Records and this combo is from Vancouver and features a Tranzmitor in the band.

12. Coaching For Sara.....Little Lady....from their recent debut CD and from London Ontario. They are playing sunday afternoon at the Eastside as an acoustic trio. They're actively looking for a replacement bass player, so if you know anyone....

13. Bath Salts....Cool Like The Music....from their brand new Mardi Gras CD and from London Ontario.

14. The Standells...Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White....from the Rhino Best Of LP that came out in the early 90's. This is the start of our set playing covers that The Boy From Nowhere do live. The Boy are playing saturday night at Fitzrays in downtown London Ontario.

15. The Real Kids....All Kindsa Girls....from their first LP from 1977. Boston's finest purveyors of power pop!

16. Flamin' Groovies....Teenage Head....from the LP of the same name from 1971.

17. The Dictators....Minnesota Strip....from the Bloodbrothers LP from 1978. Coincidentally, before they became Boy From Nowhere in 1984, they went under the name Bloodbrothers for 2 gigs with Al Cole doing the vocals and tight stripped trousers thing. You may remember Al for his Young Fast and Scientific radio show on CHRW that ran around 1979 for a couple of years.

18. UIC....Heartache....from the just released Wiseman Sessions LP on Hell Yeah Records. Grab a copy of this one locally at Speed City and Grooves or mailorder direct from Hell Yeah Records. Nothing could be finer....

19. The Bell Rays.....Changing Colours....from the Let It Blast LP from 1998. Rock'n'soul from the west coast.

20. The Hook Up....I Like The Cruel Sounds Of Love....from their soon to be released Cruel Sounds CD (or will it be vinyl??)

21. The Charms....So Romantic...from the Strange Magic CD from 2006 on Wicked Cool Records. And there's a Romantic or 2 doing back up vocals on this one! As in The Romantics from Detroit!

22. Andy Kim.....Rainbow Ride....from a Greatest Hits LP and from 1968. One of the first K-Tel Records I bought (or got for a birthday or something) had this tune on it.

23. Market East....Orange and Me....from yet another brand new 7" on La Ti Da Records and this combo is from the east coast....Philly/Brooklyn. Listening to this one, and it sure sounds like some long lost power pop tune from the late 60's!!!Such fine vocal harmonies and that little bit of soul influence gets me every time!!

24. Lemon Pipers....Green Tambourine....from a Greatest Hits CD and from 1968.

Huge Thanx for all the phone calls (there was one Really nice one, but the caller doesn't want me to reveal who it is for some odd reason....made my day!!), emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! We really appreciate all the great feedback!
      And congrats to Jerry Vickers, the winner of the London Record Show tickets, which by the way is Sunday October 30th at Centennial Hall and runs from 11 to 5. I'll have a table with tons of stuff you want/need....
      Next week, it's all London Ontario vinyl as we work towards the record show....any London Ontario vinyl requests, get them in now!

And here's a link to the archived show:

• October 28, 2016 6:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 27/16 7" Of Pleasure In The Heart Of The City

The title of this one comes from the Nick Lowe song, In The Heart Of The City. A classic adventure tune that several combos from London have covered live over the years to appreciative crowds. After all, it's a dance tune you can shake your ass to and at the same time identify with the subject matter. And since this show is covering only 7" records released here in London, and these records/songs were more than likely played downtown first (at the various watering holes/clubs) we tied the 2 together and came up with; 7" Of Pleasure In The Heart Of The City. Besides that, it not only sounds good, it gives a sexual vibe that many of these records gave upon first listen and many still do! So enjoy the sounds of the singles of London from about 1978 right up to today. In no way is this a complete playlist of all the 7" records released in London in this time frame, just a select choice few.

1. The Demics.....In The Heart Of The City....live recording from 1978 at The Cedar Lounge. Just had to start the show with the title song and was probably the first place many of us heard this song!

2. Jim Ashby....Speed City....this is from the 2007 re-ish on Speed City Records. This was a documented nick name for London for a short time in the late 60's/early 70's. And it's a fucking great song that ties so many sounds, noises and ideas all into one quick 3 minute jab in the ear! My favourite record to come out of London Ontario!

3. The Hippies....How You Gonna Live? 1982 release from this band that played long gone places like Fryfogles, The Embassy, The Victoria and at least once at The Cedar Lounge. Somewhere there's video footage of this combo at Fryfogles.

4. Excelsior.....Pornos....2014 on the It's Trash label. A combo that is still in existence and features a coupla members of The Drop Outs, a band that moved away, disolved and the members got sucked back to London. Maybe they came back just to form this combo and to make me wonder why they don't add a greasy sax to the mix to bring this raunch back to its late 50's roots. The potential explosion is scary!

5. The Sinners....No Brains....from a 1980 7". Summed up the times perfectly for the masses, but people in the know realized that it takes a lot to appear dumb! Just ask The Ramones. This combo soldiered on to become Spiral Scratch (releasing an LP) and then morphed into The Crawling Kingsnakes, which still exist in some form on rare occasions these days but in Hamilton.

6. The Perks....McPig....1978 and possibly the very first new wave/punk 7" released here in London. Highschool project or just some kids having fun, this one goes for huge bucks in the collector market as so few have survived the years. The brother of The Demics guitarist was involved in this one....Steve Brent, whom I went to college with.

7. Regulators....What's In The City....1979 and on Ready Records out of Toronto. Saw this combo a number of times at The Cedar Lounge and for some reason, at the Polish Hall where they had gigs back in those days. They were much better live than on record as were many.

8. 63 Monroe....Henry the 8th....1983. They started as NFG (and had some killer songs), morphed in to 63 Monroe, then became First Date for awhile and then back to 63 Monroe. They are still around to this day and are now billed as legendary.

9. Flying Squad....Fie On You....1988 and on a compilation called 4 Whom The Bell Tolls which came free with What Wave zine 16. Flying Squad could clear a room faster than anyone due to the facial antics of singer Tim Murphy. But if you stayed long enough to listen, you'd suddenly realize not only is Tim a fantastic singer, but this band can really rock!! Biker rock or which they were the sole proprieter of in this town.

10. Legend Killers....Gunpowder....from their 1989 7" EP Better Than Hammerin'. Singer Earle Rutherford was a torrent of energy and could wreak havoc on any room that would have them! Started as a 3 chord cover combo that evolved into a fine tuned rockin' machine and from there veered into the heavier rock sounds of the day.

11. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants....Happy Wanderer....from a 2007 release on Speed City Records. London's longest running Ramones style punk band who recently celebrated 20 years together!

12. Ross Daily....Radio Sucks....from 1996 and features that old fart from behind the counter of Speed City Records on lead vocals/whinery! The message hasn't changed in 20 years and probably won't.

13. Conning Tower....Indian Dancing....from a 1984 release and features veterans Billy Wallace (drummer of choice for many), Linda Harvey (rock bottom bass) and Mark Goodwin who presently helms Montreal combo The Mighty Pfud, a really fine pop outfit! The title of this one probably wouldn't be considered proper these days, but that sure didn't stop it from getting stuck in my noggin' long after this show was put to rest.

14. Second Thoughts....Wound Up....1980 release and this combo used to play at places like The Cedar Lounge and Fryfogles and also feature the above mentioned Mark Goodwin. Ya, London had/has an incestuous music scene as do many other communities.

15. Uranus....Gilligans Island....from 1980 and this song was used as an intro to a program on Toronto's CFNY for many years. Didn't amount to squat royalties for these guys. Uranus were the first of the new wave/punk bands to play The Cedar Lounge and regularly packed it in wherever they played. And they had a top 10 hit on AM radio with You're So Square! Quite an achievment for a London Ontario band!!

16. New Grand....Playing It....1995 release and on a label called Bubble Gun Records which released a couple of records from London.

17. Whipping Wind....Don't Get Into it....2011 release that came with a CD which had more songs than the record. Some fine powerpop sounds here.

18. Red Arms....Hindsight....2016 release on Yeah Right Records who have released several other records from London and beyond, including the brand new UIC LP. RA harken back to the days of 90's sound, but add their own touches to give it a real edge. And they still play live and are well worth checking out.

19. Crash 80's....Thrills....1980 release. Tough to chose which side of this sucker to play as both are such excellent songs that don't really sound like anyone else. One of my fave records to come out of London! Some of these characters later emerged as Suffer Machine and released an LP that is well worth checking out.

20. Generics....Outcast Of Society.....1985. They started as a bunch of noisy snotty nosed kids who evolved and released this record that is still revered by many to this day. And it's been booted, possibly more than once which only happens to the best.

21. Bitchlove....Shoot You In The Face....2014 laser cut release. Bunch of noise from this one man band that we managed to play at the wrong speed for a little while. There's at least one other laser cut release by this character.

22. Pelicans....New Wave....1978 release and comes out of Brantford Ontario, about an hour east of London. Don't know much about this one, but it seems like the art gallery in the Brantford railway station may have a story or 2.

23. Strait Jacket....Dance To The Beat Machine....mid 80's release from Stratford Ontario and probably the only release under this name. There may have been some Leotard Geeks involved in this.

24. Heart Attack Kids....Platonic Love Bomb.....2014 release from this duo who have since released an LP and seem to be the darlings of the hipster punks at the moment. Caught them live once, and they do put on a fun energetic show!

25. The Finks....Can't Say No....1987 release and one of the few combos to get into the powerpop thing here in London. The bass player moved off to Vancouver and joined garagepunkers The Fiends and still plays to this day.

Hope you enjoyed this journey though London's musical past via the 7" record. Some of these records might even be available at the London Record Show happening Sunday at Centennial Hall from 11 to 5. Come say HEY at the table!

And thanx for all the crazy phone calls, facebook messages, emails and Heys and on the fly requests!

Catch us back again next week, when we hope to have The Tuns on a phone interview as they play Call The Office that night.

• November 11, 2016 5:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist November 10/2016 Canadian PowerPop Part 1

This is the first of several parts covering the powerpop music from Canada. We'll be spinning tunes from bands spanning across Canada from the early 70's right up to current. We'll be starting in Hamilton Ontario as The Forgotten Rebels are playing here in London this weekend and they did a couple of powerpop tunes and moving eastward up the QEW from there.

1. The Forgotten Rebels....Baby Baby....from the Nobodys Hero's CD on OPM Records from 2010. This is a cover of The Vibrators track from their classic LP Pure Mania from 1977!

2. The Forgotten Rebels.... Tell Me You Love Me....from their This Ain't Hollywood LP on Star Records. As most of you know, owner Mike Star passed away a little over a year ago and we had our memorial show in April with the re-united UIC taking us back 30 years in the time machine!

3. The 905s...Hamilton Head....from the Bash It Up CD from 2006 and this particular song is a trib to the band that follows....And The 905s are opening up for The Forgotten Rebels in Burlington in a couple of weeks.

4. Teenage Head....Top Down...from a 7" on the Epic Label from 1978. This particular version of the song has the captivating Beach Boy harmonies on it....way different from the LP version.

5. The Shakers....California....late 70's 7" on Warpt Records. Out of Hamilton and they released several hard to find singles and 3 12" records. Dave Rave was a member of this band prior to him becoming lead singer of Teenage Head.

6. The Shakers....Till I'm Gone....another 7" on Warpt Records and from 1979. Just couldn't resist playing 2 songs by The Shakers as they have so many good tunes! They re-united about 1.5 years ago for a killer show in Hamilton that was a lotta fun!

7. Dave Rave....Anne Marie....from the Live With What You Know CD from 2010 and a classic powerpop tune that actually received a fair bit of airplay south of the border!! And lots of airplay right here on Radio WW! We had Dave live onair just prior to The Shakers reunion and we got him to do an acoustic version of this song over the airwaves.

8. Grey Lands....Another Lie...from their Right Arm CD from 2015 and from Hamilton. Caught these guys live a few months back and live they were way more guitar psych than on record where they tend to veer towards more pop.

9. Elk....Shaking Hands....from the Balm Beach CD from 2010 and from somewhere south east of Hamilton. Caught these guys a few years ago opening up for Pack AD and they have the harmony vocals and handclaps going full tilt!

10. Simply Saucer....I Can Change My Mind....from a 7" on Pig Records and from 1978. Known more for their protopunk and psych sounds, Simply Saucer cut this wonderful powerpop single back in 1978 and for years it was their only released recording.

11. Chevy Dirt.....Little GTO....from their Western Civilization Lp from 1980 and rumoured to be from somewhere around Kitchener Ontario.

12. BB Guns....Bang Bang...from a live recording from 2/12/13 on CIUT's Moondog's Ballroom radio show, put on by our pal Daibhid James. BTW, CIUT is having it's annual fundraising starting next week, so if you 're a regular listener to Toronto's finest radio station, don't forget to pledge some $.

13. Martha and The Muffins....Echo Beach....from the 1980 LP Metro Music. One of Toronto's better known bands from the late 70's/early 80's era and started out as a fantastic powerpop combo!!

14. Onits....Weekend Wrestler....from a 7" on Vinyl Dream Records and from 1980. Know nothing about this one, but it gets mentioned in the book Smash The State by Frank Manley and I picked this one up at Star Records in Oshawa many years ago.

15. The Mods....Between Four Walls....from the 22 Months Cd and recorded back in 1979. Toronto's mod/pop combo that featured drummer David Quinton who went on to work with Stiv Bators during his powerpop era and is now the energetic drummer for Arson.

16. David Quinton....Make Up You Mind....fromt eh Bombs and Lullabies CD and recorded back in 1980.

17. The Diodes....Plastic Girl....from the Tired Of Waking Up Tired CD on Sony Records and was recorded back in 1977. They've reformed a number of times over the years and even played right here in London Ontario a couple of years back....and we had the pleasure of having The Diodes as guests for a show here on Radio WW!!

18. The Secrets....All The Words....from the Teenage Rampage CD on OPM Records and this was recorded back in 1979. Features former Diode John Hamilton and a coupla former Viletones. These guys were playing garage, frat rock and pop and were a step out of time with the rest of the Toronto scene of the time! And are a personal fave of mine for their finely crafted tunes!

19. Zoom...Massacre At Central High....from a late 70's 7" on Riot! Records and featured John Hamilton (again??) and Chris Hate (The Secrets and The Viletones) doing poppy tunes. There is now a full length release on Ugly Pop Records that collects this 7" and many other unreleased recordings from the era and is well worth searching out!

20. Bob Segarinin....Gotta Have Pop....from his LP of the same name from 1978. Bob was originally from the west coast of the US, but moved to Montreal, then Toronto whilst playing in bands like The Dudes and The Wackers. This is his first of 4 LP's that he released around this time and they are usually easily found at record shows and well worth the few dollars they cost. Bob was also instrumental behind the scenes in the late 70's/early 80's Toronto scene producing many a fine combo!

21. The Ugly....Stranded In The Laneway....7" from the late 70's and absolutely nothing like they were live or their other recordings. This is powerpop and the rest of their material is 70's punk at it's most primal. These guys were real criminals that lived the life of.

22. B Girls....B Side....from a 1978 7" on Bomp Records. They also have a CD on OPM that collects this single and many other fine unreleased tracks that is well worth searching out. Drummer Marcy Saddy was from right here in London Ontario.

23. Hi Fi's.....I Don't Know Why....from a 1980 7" and this band evolved into Blue Rodeo and huge hall shows! I remember seeing this combo a couple of times and live they were very Beatle like and a whole lot of fun. There's rumours there are other recordings so if anyone of you readers has a copy....got lots to trade.

24. Blue Rodeo.....Rose Coloured Glasses....from their 1987 LP Outskirts. These guys are still around doing the odd tour of Canada and selling out arenas.

That's it for part 1, and judging by the phone ringing off the hook for part of the show, you must have really dug some of these tunes!! A HUGE thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! And congrats to Robert, the winner of the pass for the Film Festival happening this weekend.

Back again next week with Part 2 and we'll start with The Chickens and go from there....

• November 18, 2016 6:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist November 17/2016 Canadian PowerPop Part 2

1. The Chickens....Summer Of Love....from the Prepare To Plug In CD from 2000. 80% (4 out of 5 members of UIC) with the addition of another guitarist form The Chickens. Not the full throttle hypermetalpunk sound of UIC, but more hook laden pop tunes still with loads of energy to spare. Live, these guys were a total blast and would sometimes whip out a few UIC numbers to keep the dancing masses happy. Obviously from Toronto as are the rest of the pop bands featured on this episode.

2. Holy Microphone....Beatle Bob....from the Goodbye Television Girl CD and features Fred from UIC on guitar. This song is for an actual person called Beatle Bob who has been dancing for decades at shows in the St Louis area and has a Beatle style bowl cut.

3. The Bon....Hey Suzette....from the Static Electricity CD from 2011. There was a Leather Upper involved in this short lived project that mines early 70's pop and does it really well! This one was a fave when first released.

4. The Machines....What Have I Done...from the After My Misspent Youth CD from 2006. Dunno much about this combo, but they have definitely played at CTO here in London Ontario.

5. Cheap Speakers....She Has A System....from the Switches and Levers CD from 2013 and sadly defunct before I had a chance to catch them live.

6. Zantees...Tic Tac Toe....from the 4 song EP on Midnight Records from 1983. These next few songs go out to the late great Billy Miller, who along with his wife Miriam LInna do a bit of a duet on this one. Billy and Miriam founded Kicks fanzine, a HUGE inspiration for What Wave zine and easily one of the best, if not the best fanzine ever!!! From there, they founded the Norton Records dynasty of a record label, book publishing and now a store in Brooklyn. And Billy and Miriam were also in The Zantees and The A Bones, both amazingly cool combos!!! Over the years we only got to meet Billy and Miriam three times....1986 in Hamilton when they were touring with Hasil Adkins, 1991 when they brought The A Bones to Call The Office here in London and 2009 at the Wooly Weekend in Montreal. All great and fun times!!!

7. Zantees....Please Give Me Something....from the 1980 LP Out For Kicks on Bomp Records. A classic and essential LP for any rockabilly fan. I sold my duplicate copy of this record to a young couple at the last record show and told them this will be the best record you get at this show....dunno if they thought I was full of shit or not, but hopefully they've spun it by now and realized I coulda been right!

8. The A Bones....Betty Lou Got A New Tattoo....from the I Was A Teenage Mummy CD from 2005 on Norton Records (Norton is the secret code for quality when you see it on any CD or record). Played a commercial for the Teenage Mummy around this time too.

9. Miriam....I'm Nobody's Baby Now....from the Nobody's Baby LP on Norton Records and from 2014. Our condolences go out to Miriam!

10. Klaatu.....Sub Rosa Subway....from their self titled debut LP from 1976. When this was released, there were rumours galore about how this is the Beatles reunited as there was little fanfare when this was released and no info about the band in the packaging. The rumours were all wrong and this was a pop band from Toronto with a release on a major label. They released several other LP's, but their first is the best by far in my humble opinion.

11. Clockwise....All Over Your Face.....from the Accidentally On Purpose CD from 1999. These guys seem to always play the Toronto International Pop Overthrow each year and one listen to this tune and you'll know why.

12. Protozoans....$....from a 2009 7" and saw these guys open for someone at Call The Office a few years back. Some fine pop.

13. 10 Commandments....Suddenly....from a 7" and they release a couple of LP's and a few 7" in the late 80's to early 90's. They started as a straight 60's garage punk style combo and evolved into powerpop.

14. Blue Peter....Same Old Place....from the Test Patterns For Living 12" on Ready Records from 1979. Saw these guys many times in the late 70's/early 80's and always put on a good, fun, energetic show. After a few releases, they became less interesting, but this first record is a fave and had me singing along in the onair studio!

15. Steve Blimkie and The Reason.....Break My Heart....from the self titled debut LP from 1979 and also on Ready Records. Steve went to Fanshawe College here in London, and would play at The Cedar Lounge and was NOT liked by the punks due to his uppity attitude. Personally, I really dug his early shows as they were high energy guitar powerpop!

16. True Confessions....Mating Games....from their self titled debut LP from 1980 on Bomb Records. Some of the members of the first girl punk band in Toronto, The Curse went on to form this pop oriented combo. Got to see them live once at The Cedar Lounge and they put on a pretty good new wave/pop show.

17. Popular Spies....Chinatown....from a 1980 7". Think this was their only release and remember seeing them once or twice at Larry's in Toronto in the very early 80's. This particular song was stuck in my noggin all week heading into this show.....

18. The Numbers....Sunday Afternoon....from the Add Up Lp from 1979 on Basement Records.

19. Hot Tip.....Teach Me Something....from the Stop All Motion LP from 1981 on Attic Records. These last 2 bands differed in only one member, yet totally different names and on different labels, but both are definitely powerpop combos! Tried to figure this one out.....maybe they changed names from The Numbers as there were way too many combos with this name or....??? Can anyone out there enlighten me please? And both of these records are fairly common at record shows and are usually quite inexpensive, and well worth it.

20. The Kingbees....My Mistake....from their debut LP from 1980. This particular song was a bit of a hit and this band even played on Dick Clark's American Bandstand. Guitarist/singer Jamie James even lived here in London for a couple of years prior to this....at least according to local legend.

21. The Dundrells....Nothing On TV....from a 7" from the late 80's. These guys played The Key West Cafe here in London a couple of times and re-united for a one shot earlier this year.

22. Crash Kills 5.....What Do You Do?.....from a 7" from 1980 and this has been re-ished on Ugly Pop Records. This band evolved into Shadowy Men and I remember catching them a couple of times at the Cedar Lounge.

23. The Black Rainbows.....2 Day Rule....from the I Met This Chick CD from a couple years back.

And that's a wrap for our Toronto Powerpop show. We'll continue the powerpop special in 2 weeks as next week we'll be helping to promote the Toys For Tots show happening at The Dawghouse on November 26th.

Huge thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!

• November 25, 2016 5:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist November 24/2016

1. Long Day Journey....When My Mind Goes High....from the brand new Where Heads Meet. Hamilton psychedelic combo and believe it is their third release....

2. The Stents....Giving Up The Day...from the recent KOTJ Records from Spain, but the band is from Philly and released a couple of singles on the Hidden Volume label.

3. The Routes....Tell Me It Ain't So....from the recent Left My Mind CD on the Dead Beat Label and is a re-ish of their first CD. Garage rock trio from Japan that we've played many times on RadioWW.

4. Light Bulb Alley...I Only Got 2 Feet....from their recent Bright Side Of The Dumpster release and from Montreal. We've had these guys onair once many years ago....and you guys are welcome back anytime!

5. The Hook Up...Bellringer...from their soon to be released Cruel Sounds CD (or will it be vinyl?) on Transistor 66 Records out of Winnipeg. The band is from Saskatoon, but previously lived in Montreal, Hamilton, London and probably other places. And we had them on for a live to air several years back.

6. Sharon Jones....My Man Is A Mean Man....from the Naturally CD and RIP to Sharon who passed away way too soon!

7. Sharon Jones....She Ain't A Child....from the I Learned The Hard Way CD.

8. Kumonga.....Look Out Below....from their debut CD from 2012. Lead singer/keyboard/maniac Danny Walters used to be in the incredible Brown Hornets from Oshawa Ontario.

9. Death Drive....Death Drive....brand new demo from this Montreal based trio. Drummer Ockert Greef used to be in Light Bulb Alley and guitarist/vocalist Leon is a graduate of Western University. Great protopunk inspired noise that you'll be hearing more of in future shows!

10. Simply Saucer....Electro Rock....from the Cyborgs Revisited LP from 1989, but recorded in 1975. There's a book that is just out, hasn't even made it to the stores yet, about Simply Saucer by regular listener Jesse Locke. We'll be talking to Jesse on the Dec 15th edition of the show...talking all things Simply Saucer and the Hamilton scene back then. If you have any questions for Jesse, be sure to send them my way prior to the show.

11. Death....Keep On Knockin'....from their For The Whole World To See LP from 2009 on Drag City Records. Originally recorded back in 1975, but like the Simply Saucer recordings above, finally saw the light of day years after...

12. Velvet Underground....All Tomorrow's Parties....from the 1967 Velvet Underground and Nico LP. The one with the banana on the cover.

13. Velvet Underground....Guess I'm Falling In Love (instro version)....from the Another View LP from 1986. Recorded in 1967 as a demo and the in the red guitar sounds always blow me away on this track!

14. Grinderman....No Pussy Blues....from their self titled debut from 2007. Nick Cave side project...

15. P J Harvey....Snake....from the Rid Of Me CD from 1993. Polly has done some work w/Nick Cave, but not this particular track.

16. Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons....Are You Really Gone?...from this 4 song EP called Four Whom The Bell Tolls that came out in 1988 and free with What Wave zine #16. Drummer Andrew Lewis has a show opening tonight at the Westland Gallery here in London. Andrew is a world famous poster artist, who travels the world. He has designed a coin for the Canadian Mint and a stamp (or 2?) for Canada Post. And he lives right here in London Ontario and you should check out his art at the Westland. And he's a regular listener here at RWW!

17. Boy From Nowhere....Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White....recorded live at the Town and Country 10/5/2013 for someone's birthday. Boy From Nowhere are part of the big Toys For Tots show happening Saturday at the Dawghouse here in London. Show runs from 3 till 8PM and features all the bands that are played from now till the end of this show and more! Admission is one unwrapped toy for a kids Christmas gift. Hope to see you all at the show!

18. Boy From Nowhere....Ain't Got You....live recording from the early 90's of this Billy Boy Arnold tune.

19. Thing From Outer Space.....Thing From Outer Space....theme song from this local combo who have just released their first CD. You can get copies on saturday at the Toys For Tots show!

20. Thing From Outer Space....FBI....as above. This is London's only all surf combo and we've had them yammering on the radio a couple months back.

21. 10 Heads....I See Angels....from thei Swimming and Singing CD from 2001. There's a newer version of this band that you'll see at Saturday's Toys For Tots show!

22. 63 Monroe....Weekend Punx....from the Hijack Victim LP that came out in 2005 in Italy. How many other London Ontario bands have an LP out in Italy....ya, that many! You can see these old farts burn up the stage at the Toys For Tots show on saturday! They might even play this one, originally recorded back in 1984 as heard here.

23. 63 Monroe....1963....from a 7" they released a couple years back, had to cut it off as we ran out of time, but certainly not tunes or yammering....

Big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Back again next week with Part 3 of the Canadian Power Pop Special, this time heading east from Toronto.

See you all at the Dawghouse on Saturday afternoon for the Toys For Tots show!! How often do you get to see an afternoon show with this many cool combos?!?

• December 2, 2016 6:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist December 1/2016 Canadian PowerPop Special Part 3

This is the third installment of our Canadian PowerPop Special and we start with a couple of bands from Toronto that we didn't have time to play last week. From there, we head east to Kingston and Ottawa Ontario.

1. The Job....The Night....from their self released CD from 2008 and from Toronto. Former Londoner Nyles Miszczyk was involved in this combo.

2. Flashing Lights.....High School.....from their 1999 CD Where The Change Is and feature Matt Murphy who is now playing in the band we hear next....

3. The Tuns....Back Among Friends....from their self titled debut LP that came out a few months ago. Members of Sloan and The Inbreds are also involved in this combo. Saw these guys live at Call The Office about a month ago, and man oh man did they ever have the background harmony vocals down tight and right!! It was like going back to seeing the early 70's power pop combos like Big Star and Badfinger! Check them out if they ever hit your town.

4. Ancient Shapes....Public Hymns....from the self titled LP that came out this past summer. This is a side project of Daniel Romano and this LP has the same songs on both sides!

5. The Shanks....Killing Time....from their 2010 CD The Dark Richard Show. This is a duo from Orangeville Ontario and when this was released, were doing some really fine powerpop. They've since changed drummers and gone off in a much heavier sounding curve, which has given them some success in Germany! They've released many since this CD and seem to tour a fair bit.

6. Marvelous Beauhunks....Kicking Around....from the Do Not Resuscitate CD from a few years back, but this was originally recorded in the early 90's. Around this time, the band got back together, released another CD and even a book about them! They were from the Oshawa area, just east of Toronto.

7. Pelt....Makeout/Breakout....from a demo this Kingston combo sent us a couple years back. Some fine new wave/influenced pop!

8. Polymorphines....Anna Lee...from their 2011 The Slip CD and from Ottawa as are the rest of the bands on this show. This CD was produced by Tim Kerr (Big Boys and TONS of other bands) in Austin Texas and when these guys dropped in on Radio WW a few years back, they had lots of stories about their trip to Texas. The Polymorphines released at least 3 other CD's of jangly poppy/garagey type stuff that is a really fun listen.

9. White Wires....Girly Girly Girly....from their debut LP on Going Gaga Records out of Ottawa. Tight infectuous power pop with all the right hooks in the right place. Caught this trio live here in London a few years ago, and they were loads of fun!

10. White Wires...I Can Tell....from their second CD, White Wires II which came out in 2010.

11. The Felines....Dance With Me....from the Ottawa compilation, Ottawa Gaga Volume 1 which came out in 2009. The drummer of the White Wires, Allie, was involved in this combo.

12. Girlfriends.....Shirt and Pants....from the Mac Lewis album and from Ottawa.

13. Bureaucrats.....Grown Up Wrong....from the compilation Smash The State Volume 2 and this song is from 1979. A few years back, there was a re-issue of a lot of the recordings of this early punk/new wave combo.

14. Mother's Children.... What'll Happen To All The Girls....from the That's Who Lp on Deranged Records from 2009. One of my fave bands who are doing this kind of powerpop thing these days. Caught them a few years ago opening up for Paul Collins Beat and they put on an excellent show!!

15. Mother's Children.....The Gang Is Back...from their latest LP, Lemon which was on Mammoth Cave Records.

16. Sick Fits...Shapes....from their self titled CD that came out in 2007. At least one of these guys went on to form Mother's Children. This combo isn't really power pop, as they have lots of glam and new wave and punk influences...all really good influences that they put to proper use!!

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! On next week's Radio WW, it's an all female show as we commemerate the Montreal Massacre here at CHRW.

• December 2, 2016 8:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist December 2/2016 Canadian PowerPop Special Part 4

This is the fourth installment of our Canadian PowerPop Special and we start a band from Ottawa, then head east to Montreal, to the Maritimes, then back to Sudbury Ontario and then head south to London Ontario, home of many a fine power pop combo....and this show aired on Friday December 2nd from 4 till 6PM.

1. Steve Adamyk....20/30....from a 7" on Ptrash Records from 2010. This Ottawa based powerpopper has released many records around the world and everyone I've heard has been really good!

2. The Mighty FFud....Caught...from their self titled CD from 2014. This is the start of our journey through the powerpop combos of Montreal. On guitar and vocals is former Londoner Mark Goodwin, who will show up in a London based combo much later in this show. Caught the Mighty FFud live at Call The Office a few months ago and they put on a mighty fine powerpop show and would highly recommend catching these guys live if you ever get the chance.

3. April Wine...Tonite Is A Wonderful Time To Fall In Love...from their Greatest Hits LP and from 1975. They may be an over the hill arena rock combo, but they still did a couple of cool powerpop tunes over the years.

4. Pagliaro....Some Sing Some Dance....from a self titled LP from 1971. Remember this so well when it was played on AM radio back in the 70's and still dig this one as much today! Pag made it to Toronto a month or 2 ago, and was courted by the rock royalty there as seen in many pictures on FB. The King of Quebec music and almost unknown outside the borders!! Cept here at Radio WW where we idolize the guy......and in Denim Delinquent zine!!

5. Walnut Kids....Can't Stand 'em....from a 7" on Going Gaga Records from 2009 and featuring our pal Seb on the skins. This is one fine slab of pop and made my list of faves from back in 2009!! So 1977!!!

6. The Datsons....Thief In The Night....from a 7" and on the Ricochet Sound label, home of The Gruesomes. Not sure when this came out, but definitely remember The Datsons opening up for The Gruesomes here in London at Call The Office....

7. The Teenbeats....I'll Never Win....from a 7" on the Gamma label. Got this one from our pal Ralph Alfonso, so assume they are from Montreal....

8. Dany Laj and the Looks....Match...from the CD of the same name from a couple years back. Dany comes from Northern Ontario, moved to Toronto around the time this was recorded and presently resides in Montreal. Recently did the North American tour thing with the King of PowerPop, Mr Paul Collins. Caught the show here in London, and as always, DL and The Looks delivered!! One of my fave active powerpop combos!

9. Dany Laj and The Looks....Best Thing In Town...from their recent Word On The Street LP that is one of those LP's that I can play over and over and never tire!

10. HighDials....Diamonds In The Dark....from the A New Devotion CD on Rainbow Quartz records. Caught these guys live when they released this and they put on a Fantastic show!! Lots of 60's influences of the pop and psych variety combine with some really nice song writing on this one! Another one that I never tire of!

11. The Minstrels....Rhythm In Her Head....from the Come Out To Play EP on What Wave Records from 1989. At the time, this trio was based in Quebec City, but later, tended to move all around North America. Loads of early Beatles influences, mersey beat, pop and garage all combined to give this combo a fun infectuous sound!! This should have gone places, but back in 1989, people all wanted CD's or cassettes.

12. Terminal Sunglasses....Antenna Dilemma....from their Wrap Around Cool LP on OG Records from 1985. This LP was just re-released recently on bright pink vinyl.....haven't seen it around anywhere yet.

13. Sonic Avenues.....Close To You...from their debut CD on Ricochet Sound from 2007. These guys are still around, releasing records and playing live. Just recently they were here in London but I missed them!

14. Chains...Soulin'...from their On Top Of Things CD on Get Hip Records from 2002. It's not very common for a Canadian combo to get a release on Get Hip, but these guys did it!

15. Sloan...Good In Every One....from the One Chord To Another CD from 1996 and originally from Halifax as we've left Montreal heading east on this Canadian powerpop trip. Sloan have had some mainstream success here in Canada and some recognition south of the border.

16. The Connexions.....Against The Tide....from a download the band sent us and believe they are from Newfoundland. The entire download was all songs like this one, guitar powerpop and the band said they even played London Ontario once.

17. Jill Porter....Just Ask....from her debut CD from about 2005. From Newfoundland and really fine rock'n'roll influenced powerpop circa late 70's style! One of my recent faves and was able to track down Jill on FB and she still does a bit of music once in awhile.

18. Jill Porter....Rock'n'Roll Songs.....as above.

19. Beaten Hearts....How It Ends....from a download the band sent us and from Moncton New Brunswick from about 2010.

20. Liquid Vapours.....Sticks To You...from the Devilla CD form 2010 and members come from various places in the Maritimes....Sydney and Charlottetown among them.

21. Thee Walkin' Jacks....She Tells Me....from the Drop Dead CD and feature members of the above couple of combos.

22. The Joliettes.....Girls Like Me....from a 7" on Going Gaga Records from 2010 and from Sudbury Ontario as we leave the Maritimes and head back to Ontario....

23. Almighty Rhombus....Even Though.....from a download this combo gave us when they came on Radio WW one day, probably sometime in 2013. They've played London a few times since.

24. The Statues.....Living In Lines....from the New People Make Us Nervous LP and from Sudbury. This trio have released records in many countries and played London at least 2 times.

25. The Statues.....Quality Assurance....as above.

26. NFG....Cyanide....recorded live at the York Hotel, now called Call The Office, probably in 1978/9. They were known as a punk combo, but those background ooohhss and ahhhss just reek of powerpop! As does those nifty little guitar hooks that Simon whips out. NFG morphed into 63 Monroe which is still active to this day.

27. The Stoves.....Look Through Any Window.....live recording from the Cedar Lounge from 1979. 3 piece harmony vocals really bring out the hooks on this old Hollies number! Drummer Greg went on to Sheep Look Up, after serving time in The Zellots.

28. The Finks....Can't Say No....from their only 7" from 1987 and even made it to airplay on the local AM radio stations here in London! Bass player Pete left for Vancouver where he played in garagerockers The Fiends.

29. Itsa Skitsa.....Missing You....from a CD called In 4 Days and recorded aroudn 1984. Ian, the bass player for The Demics was in this combo.

30. Second Thoughts.....Wound Up.....from this self released 7" from 1980. Features guitar/vocals by Mark Goodwin who we heard at the very beginning of this show in his present combo, The Mighty FFud.

31. The Zellots....Soldiers....from a 1981 session with Peter Moore, the guy who won a Grammy this year for his work on the Bob Dylan re-issue. The Zellots were one of those bands that coulda and shoulda but didn't due to many things. There was an extensive interview done with the band in an issue or 2 of Mongrel Zine.

32. The Comos.....She Doesn't Care....from their 2006 CD Bandwidth and is their only release.

33. Lionel Lodge....Smile....from The Agitator CD from 2014. Lionel is currently residing in Austria and plays out there. We had him with a band doing a live to air about a year or so ago!

34. Legend Killers....You'll Get Yours....from the Better Than Hammerin' 7" that came out in 1989 on What Wave Records. Live, this was a loud rock'n'roll combo that put on some crazy beer fueled shows and drove crowds out of their minds! But this particular recording, is definitely powerpop oriented!

All out of time, but certainly not tunes....we'll be back on Friday December 9th, with Part 5 of the Canadian PowerPop Special, continueing along with several more London combos!
      Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! On next week's Radio WW, it's an all female show as we commemerate the Montreal Massacre here at CHRW.

https://chrwradio.ca/program/london-indie-underground

The above link, doesn't look like a Radio WW thing, but click on the Dec 02 link for the show.

• December 9, 2016 6:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave December 8/2016 Playlist.....all Women's Voices Show

1. Honey B and The T-Bones....Bumble Bee...from their 1992 CD Shake Your Shimmy and from Finland. This trio used to play London fairly regularly at a place called Leadbellys. For some reason they got on the blues circuit, yet they were more of a rck'n'roll combo.

2. Queen Beeva.....The Horny One....from a demo from this local combo featuring Jeffy B on the guitar and from 1999.

3. Patsy's Rats....Rock and Roll Friend....from the latest batch of La Ti Da singles that just came out. This combo is from Portland and Patsy is supposedly the daughter of Howie Gelb.

4. The Johnnies....Your Girl....from a recent demo and from Toronto. A timely song as this is about the issue we have here in Canada of missing Aboriginal women.

5. The Hook Up....Bellringer....from their soon to be released product on Transistor 66 Records out of Winnipeg.

6. Lost Patrol....Second Time Around...from a 1988 7" from this Windsor Ontario combo who appeared on many What Wave releases and played London many times. They have a reunion show on Dec 27th in Windsor.

7. Go Four Three....Roxy Roller....from a 7" from 1988 and from Vancouver.

8. Cub...Everything's Geometry....from their Cuddlecor 94 CD on Mint Records and from Vancouver. A trio of fun loving women who released many records and CD's and played the Embassy here in London a couple of times.

9. Birds Of Paradise....Please Stay....from a brand new 7" on HIdden Volume Records and features Roy from Red Mass on the guitar. This one arrived in the mail the day before this show and came with Hidden Volume's zine, 7&7 Is...

10. Stolen Minks....Viola Desmond....from their High Kicks CD from 2008 and extremely timely as this morning it was announced that Black civil rights pioneer Viola Desmond will be on our soon to be released new $10 bills!! Guess we'll be calling this the $10 song soon! The Stolen Minks were from Halifax (I accidentally said Sydney on air) and played London at least twice, both great shows!

11. Dead Rabbits....No Way...from the Boot Two The Head CD from 2002. This was a live show at Call The Office to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the closing of the Cedar Lounge here in London. The Cedar Lounge was our first and only exclusive punk/new wave/whatever club here in London and ran from 1978 to 1982.

12. The Plasmatics....Monkey Suit....from their first LP, New Hope For The Wretched from 1980 and a request by Danny.

13. The Fastbacks....Won't Have To Worry....from the Oh Canaduh! compilation LP on Lance Rock Records from 1995.

14. Jill Porter....Win Me Back....from her self titled CD from 2005 and from Newfoundland.

15. Lucy And the Rats....Lose My Mind....from a 7" on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.

16. The Zorgs...Cruisin'....from their Chew On It CD on Transistor 66 Records and out of Winnipeg.

17. Hiroshima Hearts...Spend Your Money....from their recent Bones CD and from London. It was announced today that they will be playing New Years Eve at Victoria Park Bandshell in downtown London!!

18. Pacanomad....Heaven Can Wait....from their first CD as I couldn't find their brand new CD at the station....that has been resolved and we'll be playing their new CD in a show or 2.

19. Betty Harris....Show It....from New Orleans Funk Volume 2 and from 1969.

20. Etta James....Good Rockin' Daddy....from a Greatest Hits compilation CD and from 1955.

21. Twin Fin.....Devil Girl Stomp....from their recent Whisky Wine and Venom Stop CD and from London and will be playing Fitzrays on New Years Eve.

22. Norma Fraser....Respect....from the Studio One Soul CD from Jamaica and from 1968.

23. Aretha Franklin....I Never Loved A Man...from the Rare And Unreleased double CD on Rhino/Atlantic and this song is from 1966. On some of these demos, Aretha's voice cuts through like a razor!! Recommended even if you're just a casual fan of the Queen Of Soul.

24. Nina SImone....Mississippi Goddamn....from a Greatest Hits CD and from 1964 and very timely in these changing times.

Hope you enjoyed this all female show as it's an annual thing and loads of fun to compile....so much to play and so little time!

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!

• December 10, 2016 9:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist Friday Dec 9....Canadian PowerPop Special Part 5

Final episode on our trip across Canada and yammering about and playing the bands that played (and some still do) powerpop. On this final edition, we finish our look at London Ontario's combos, go west down the 401 to Windsor and then cross the Prairies to Vancouver/Victoria which has always been a hotbed for powerpop.

1. Dustbin Flowers....Bayside Jenny....from their self titled debut CD and a song that shoulda been a radio hit! As so many powerpop/pop tunes should be!

2. Giggleswitch....How Good You Look...from their VII CD from 2007. Local combo that is considered punk, but this song definitely has the hooks and background vocals to get played on this show. And they've just reformed (got back together, not been released from reform school) recently.

3. Ruth's Hat.....Show Me....from their Nostalgic For Right Now double CD from 2006. Not the song I meant to play, but still a pop tune from these guys who used to play places like Call The Office and the Brunswick.

4. The Knaves....White Car....from a demo that a certain DJ (who actually drums in this combo) dropped into all the DJ's mailboxes here at CHRW several years ago. Most of the DJ's ignored this high energy powerpop...not me. Jesse who played guitar in this combo, is now in The Try Umphs who are in the process of releasing 2 songs a month for awhile.

5. Hurricane and Able.....Who's That Girl?....from their 2013 download The Last Temptation. A duo that is half London and half Toronto based and basically a studio band. They've played out once or twice and I've given up pestering them to play London....LOL...

6. Hurricane and Able...Day More Day....from their Thin End of the Wedge download, probably from 2015.

7. Coaching For Sara.....Look Around....from their self titled debut CD that came out earlier this year. They're working on more recording right now, and we'll be spinning it as soon as we get it to our sweaty palms! My fave local powerpop combo and they've got a coupla shows coming up, December 21 at Fitzrays and January 7 at East Side.

8. Fine Print....Tonight....from their wonderful self titled CD from 2013. They also released a cassette on the What Wave label....very limited.

9. Square Root of Margaret...Hollywood Will Find A Way....from their Teragram Photeur CD from 2002 and from just west of London in Chatham Ontario....not the same Chatham that Wild Billy Childish and his band of pranksters came from.

10. The Spys....Underground....from their only 7" from 1980 and from Windsor Ontario. There were 2 different sleeves for this one, and it was recently re-ished by Ugly Pop Records out of Toronto. After releasing this record, the band re-named itself The Nelsons and upon returning to the Cedar Lounge, gave away tons of this 7". My buddy Derek and I both grabbed one and we both put them on the dash of his car when we were leaving. It was the middle of winter, cold as fuck and he had the heater on full to help defrost the windshield. And you guessed it, 2 severely warped records!!

11. Popular Mechanix....Ice Box City....from their self titled first LP from 1979 and from Winnipeg. The whole LP is filled with fast hook laden powerpop! Got to see them at The Cedar Lounge back then and remember them doing a few early Who covers in with the originals. They released one other LP, not quite as good as this one, but that's just my opinion.

12. Telepathic Butterflies....A Final Word...from An Album on Rainbow Quartz Records out of the US, but this band was from Winnipeg. Rainbow Quartz was a label that specialized in powerpop and I still search out anything on this label that I don't have. Very Beatles/Big Star influenced.

13. The Perms....Bring You Down....from their Better Days CD from 2005 and also from Winnipeg. These guys used some well placed horns and at this point, I gave a shout out to our pal The Invisible Man, a horn blower in many ska combos and DJ on UMFM!!

14. Jr. Gone Wild....Old Blue....from their Less Art More Pop LP from 1987 on BYO Records out of California, but these louts were from Edmonton! Great Byrds jangle on the guitars with loads of 60's pop sounds on this label that was known for punk rock. Saw these guys a few times in this lineup and the shows were completely unpredictible due to alcohol, testosterone and probably some man made drugs! I had them doing a sunday night showcase at Key West many moons ago. We had a great writeup in the local newspaper and the place was packed. Only one problem, the band wasn't there!! They had spent the day in Toronto consuming beer and after many frantic phone calls, they showed up and proceeded to load in faster than lightning and start playing! Put on a truly amazing set although a few people had already left. And yet another time, again at the Key West here in London, they were so drunk they were doing Black Sabbath covers and almost falling over each other...luckily only a few saw this train wreck. A documentary on Jr Gone Wild is due out soon and there may be some pics from the Key West shows.

15. Chilliwack....Fly At Night....from their Segue Lp from 1977 and one of the few Canadian powerpop combos that were getting radio airplay here in Canada. They had several really cool pop tunes and thought this one would fit the show best.

16. Grapes Of Wrath....You May Be Right....from their These Days CD from 1991 and from Vancouver. They released at least 3 CD's, all of which got loads of airplay here at CHRW and many other places. Very nice hook in this one.

17. Cub....My Chinchilla....from a 7" EP called Hot Dog Day on Mint Records from 1993. 3 piece combo that played The Embassy here in London at least a few times. They released many other singles, CD's and appeared on many compilations and from Vancouver as most of the combos for the rest of this episode.

18. New Pornographers....Chump Change....from their Electric Version CD from 2003. Another combo that is well known across Canada and get lots of airplay from mainstream radio. They are also a really good pop combo!

19. Bum....Weekend....from a 7" from 1992 and from Victoria BC and sent this one out to Jon Traut from the Boy From Nowhere as he called in just prior to this being aired! Bum were more influenced by Cheap Trick and members showed up in this next combo....

20. Budoken....You Don't Stop Lovin' The Band....from their Spin A Little Gold CD from a few years back.

21. The Sweaters....The Pop Thing....from a CD of the same name from 1991 and validates this whole pop show!

22. The Modernettes....Barbra....from their Teen City EP from 1980 and a band that coulda and shoulda but somehow didn't! This is a song that should be blasting out of the car radio as you cruise the back roads with the top down!!!

23. The Modernettes....Teen City... as above....

24. Secret V's....Modern Boy....from a self titled 1980 12" EP and features a guy named Radial on bass. Radial is none other than soon to be well known, Ray Condo, who along with his Hardrock Goners crossed Canada many a time, preaching the gospel of rock'n'roll! Those Hardrock Goners used to stay at our place when they played London and we got to talking late one night and found out that Ray was Radial. Saw The Secret V's play the Cedar Lounge and Ray said they stayed in the upstairs rooms above the club and let's just say that wasn't the best accomodation here in London....LOL...

25. Female Hands....Divided By 3....from a 1980 self title EP on Quintessence Records. Got this back in the day when I'd buy just about anything that looked interesting and glad I grabbed this. Picked it up when City Lights Book Store had an actual record bar upstairs with loads of new wave/punk records and a young lady ran it. Picked up many singles and the first Dead Kennedys record there as well.

26. Pointed Sticks....Perfect Youth....from the LP of the same name from 1980 and a real game changer when I saw these guys at the Cedar Lounge....they were the first combo that I can remember covering a Sonics song...The Witch!!! And this was right around the time I was discovering Pebbles records (again that record bar at City Lights) and digging and realizing where all these punk sounds were coming from ....60's garagepunk and a bowl haircut for me please!! And then realizing that there were others out there with the same mindset...ie Chesterfield Kings, The Last, Droogs and more!!!

27. Pointed Sticks....Destitute....again from 1980 and a bonus track on the Perfect Youth CD on Zulu Records. Pointed Sticks opened for Teenage Head in the fall of 1980 at the Spoke and Rim at Western University here in London. The Teenage Head live sets aired over CHRW and I managed to tape that. Does anyone know if the Pointed Sticks portion aired and if so, who has a copy that I can trade for??? OCD's got a hold on me!!

28. Young Canadians....Just A Loser...from the This Is Your LIfe EP from about 1980 and features Art Bergman on guitar/vocals. At the time, Art was called Canada's Lou Reed.....monotonic vocal, deep lyrics, hard to deal with due to drugs/alcohol etc... Art has lived through it all, and is still around to this day doing the solo thing and was through town in the last year or so....missed that show.

29. 64 Funnycars....Fading Away....from their 7" EP from 1990 and from Victoria BC. Caught these guys at Call The Office and managed to get all their releases at that time. Nice pop combo.

30. The Smugglers....Walking Out On Love....from a 7" from 1994 and at one time, one of Canada's best known underground combos as they travelled the world, released records around the world but never did well right here in London Ontario! Singer Grant Lawrence, whom you may know of via CBC Radio, is presently working on a book about this combo and might even be some pics from right here in London. I've never seen a grown man kiss another mans bare ass, except when The Smugglers were playing at Call The Office one night....no names, ask me sometime.

31. New Town Animals....Sitting Alonge With You....from the Is Your Radio Active CD from 2001 and Jeffy Clone is in this band. Some members went on to The Briefs.

32. The Clones....Forgetting What I Know....from the Need A Wave CD from 2003. Jeffy Clone and more jeffy clone....LOL....

33. The React....Only Living For You....from a recent 7" on the La Ti Da label and features a member of The Tranzmitors....

Goddamn, ran outta time but certainly not tunes...next up was going to be Vancouger and then a bunch of Tranzmitors singles....maybe next show!!

Big thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Back again on Friday Dec 16th from 4 to 6PM and we'll be yammering with Jesse Locke about his brand new book on Simply Saucer!

You can find the archived show at, just click on the Dec 09 @ 1600 Download:

• December 17, 2016 10:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Friday December 16/2016 Jesse Locke Interview and Simply Saucer Special

We had the honour of a phone interview with Jesse Locke, author of Heavy Metalloid Music, The Simply Saucer Story on this week's edition. Jesse has gone below the surface and back in time to get the full story on one of Canada's most influential (yet unknown) rock'n'roll combos. We had him yammering about the book and answering some really off the wall questions....and it was a lot of fun!! We all learned something! Book release party is tonight in Hamilton, right above Hammer City Records and the Saucer will be playing!!

1. Simply Saucer....Now's The Time For The Party....from the Half Human Half Live CD and a great song to start the show! And speaking of which, this was our first offical friday night show in the new time slot....4 to 6PM on fridays!!

2. Simply Saucer....Instant Pleasure....from Cyborgs Revisited. Recorded back in the mid 70's by Bob Lanois (brother of the more famous Dan) in his parent's basement, well before they moved out and created the monster of a recording industry. This and the next 3 songs are what put SS on the musical map!! Unreleased until 1989, by Hamilton scenester/music geek Bruce The Mole Mowat, this blew a lot of minds, mine included. Still remember the day this showed up in the mailbox, opened it up and was expecting a tame/dated version of their earlier single, She's A Dog (on Gary Pig Gold's Pig Records 1978). Nope, total mindwarp of convoluted protopunk/VU/Stooge/experimental madness that still blows my mind to this day!

3. Simply Saucer....Electro Rock.... as above.

4. Simply Saucer....Nazi Apocalypse...as above.

5. Simply Saucer...Mole Machine...

And right around this time, Jesse called in and we did the record/music geek yammer fest!!

6. The Chessmen....Time Machine....from the CD that comes with the book. Chessmen were a Hamilton garage influenced combo that as we found out during this show, released their one LP on the same day Cyborgs Revisited came out! The Chessmen LP came out on Zapp Records, which was a store in Hamilton. Met the owners years previous as they would always be at the Hamilton Record shows and they would be the dealers with the stuff I was looking for at the time (60's garagepunk and anything weird/unusual).
      Here's some more info about The Chessmen....they did many Op Art dance/events in Hamilton and Brantford of which we attended a couple. Full on psych geekiness with light shows, dancers, costumes etc. The Chessmen were also on a couple of What Wave compilations, including Mr Garager's Neighbourhood and even appeared on a Narduar compilation. Played London a few times, namely Electric Banana and Call The Office and yes pictures exist. Our good pal Rick Blythe was guitarist and he was best man at our wedding many years ago. Drummer Michael White recently released the award winning book, Popkiss: The LIfe and Afterlife of Sarah Records, published by Bloomsbury Academic. We met Michael as a young teenager, well before he was in any bands, at record shows here and there and he even published his own zine for awhile (name escapes me).

7. The Loved Ones....Shake Some Action....also from the CD with the book and this is Gary Pig Gold's combo, doing one of my all time fave tunes!

8. Third Kind.....Vekki....also from the CD with the book and a bit of a Saucer band.

9. The Bards...Bus Stop....demo from the late 80's of a very early Gaven Dianda combo as Gaven has a part in the book. You may know of Gaven from Flashing Lights, a combo that had a song, Highschool. that got a fair bit of radio play here in Canada. This is young teenagers doing the harmony vocals on this one....way beyond their years!

10. Edgar Breau....Dandelion Kingdom....from his Patches Of Blue CD from 2012. Edgar was lead guitar, singer and songwriter for Simply Saucer and his solo stuff is almost a 180 turn musically.

11. Simply Saucer....She's A Dog....live recording from CIUT 5/27/2007. CIUT brought SS into the studios for a couple hours one sunday, and this is just a taste of what went down.

12. Simply Saucer.... Give It Away....from 1976 and came with a recent 7" that came with some kind of frisbee if memory serves. Can't for the life of me find the frisbee since we moved, hence the missing details.

13. The Bards....Nowhere Man....from the same session as above....again, this is 16 year old kids doing this!!

14. Edgar Breau....Story Of Simpy Saucer....live recording that Edgar gave me last time we had him onair here on Radio WW...sorry about the sound quality, but the song really does tell the story.

15. Death Drive....I Wanna....brand new demo from this Montreal combo featuring our pal Ockert Greef on the tubs. Protopunk and metal sorta combine on this one and their first show is coming up first week of January.

16. Gloria...Brain Dead...from their brand new Excelsis Stereo releaseon Howlin' Banana Records outta France. All girl combo that harken back to the sounds of the early 60's.

17. Never Betters....Violence...from their Bitchin' release and from London Ontario. For some odd reason, they've topped the charts here at CHRW...sign of good things to come?!?

18. Lucy and the Rats....The Situation....from a brand new 7" on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.

19. Terminal Licks....Come Out Tonight....from a posthumous 7" on It's Trash Records.

20. First Base....If I See You With That Girl Again....brand new 7" on La Ti Da Records and for some reason I called them 4th Base onair....braindead! Very very nice hook in this powerpopper!

21. Coaching For Sara....Tonites The Night....from their recent self titled debut CD and from right here in London....they have a show on Wednesday December 21 at Fitzrays and they go on at 11PM....schedule accordingly!

22. The Flintettes....Same Faces....yet another brand new 7" on La Ti Da Records and another fine powerpopper!!

23. Bath Salts....Jesus Took Me Drinking... from their recent Mardi Gras CD and from right here in London.

24. Red Arms....Hindsight....from their 7" on Yeah Right Records and from here in London.

25. Common Cycles....Temptress....from a download and yet another combo from London ontario....get out and support these local combos when they play out!!

26. Yeah Bud....Wast My Daze.....from a download andyet another combo from London....

27. Charles Bradley....Changes....from the LP of the same name and one of the best things I've heard from 2016. Our best goes out to Charles as he's facing some health issues!

We've gone way overtime and there's no indication of any backup, so we're switching over to pre-recorded as I got places to be!

Huge Thanx to all that phoned in, emailed, facebook messaged etc to welcome and congratulate Radio WW on the new time slot!! We do it for you loonies that listen every week!!

Next week, it's ALL Xmas and holiday tunes, including some of your soon to be favourite holiday tunes!!

Here's a link to the archived show....disregard the London Indie Underground logos....

• January 7, 2017 5:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist January 6/2017

1. The Gruesomes….What Wave….from Mr Garager’s Neighbourhood, 1989 on OG/What Wave Records.
      2. The Dahlmanns….Teenage News….from a new 7” on Beluga Records and from Norway. This song was originally done by NYDoll Sylvain Sylvain back in his rockabilly days. Great way to start the show as for some reason, we played a lot of rock’n’roll and rockabilly.
      3. Frank Ridsdale…..Lonesome Train….recorded live on Radio WW 10/13/2016. Frank was a member of Uranus, and you can read their story on the CHRW website. Frank’s presently playing solo and doing The Stetson Brothers with another former Uranus member, Jerry Fletcher.
      4. Frank Ridsdale….Be Bop A Lula….as above, as both songs sorta joined together.
      5. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats…. Rockabilly Bop….another live session on Radio WW, this time 7/21/2016, days before drummer Nick Perry’s B’day!
      6. Duke Sedan and the Hi-Tones…Real Cool Daddy….from their self titled debut CD from 2008. Members have gone on to Twin Fin and The Thing From Outer Space.
      7. Jamie James….Night Rockin’… from his The Big One EP from 1984. Jamie was in London for a few years in the mid 70’s, presently lives in California where he still plays to this day.
      8. Lucky 7….Downtown Saturday Night….from their debut LP on Midnight Records and based in NYC. This combo played London many times in the late 80’s and you can see their pics on the Radio What Wave FB page. Several listeners remembered them well and told of them playing Leadbellys, Call The Office and The Firehall back in the late 80’s/early 90’s.
      9. Lucky 7…Ready To Rock….from the Feed The Snake CD from 1990.
      10. Lucky 7…Lucky 7…. As above.
      11. Lucky 7…..Rock’n’Roll Radio….from the Get Lucky LP from 1987.
      12. The Thing From Outer Space….The Thing From Outer Space…theme song from their recent CD and they have a gig at Soho on Saturday January 14th.  Soho is the old Victoria Tavern on South St which has re-opened with a new name.
      13. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet…..Spy School Graduation Theme….from a 7” on Estrus Records from 1991. Most of the Shads stuff has been re-released on CD and vinyl recently.
      14. Surfdusters….Gruesome….from their Surf After Dark CD on Fireball Records from 1997 and from BC.
      15. Death Drive….Death Drive….brand new demo from this Montreal combo that make their debut in Montreal on Saturday.
      16. Gloria…..Brain Dead…..from their In Excelsis Stereo CD on Howlin’ Banana Records out of France.
      17. Try Umphs….Never Let You Go….from one of their latest downloads and from Toronto….there is a former Londoner in the combo.
      18. Cadillac Bill and the Creeping Bent….Lost In Space…from their self titled CD from 2006 and from Hamilton Ontario.
      19. Sour Notes….My Blues…demo from this Toronto combo from about 10 years ago.
      20. UIC….Green Lady….from the recent Wiseman Sessions LP on Yeah Right Records.  Recorded in 1989 and finally released for all to hear! Former Exeter Ontario natives make good in Toronto.
      21. Brown Hornets….Rooftop Sniper….from their only CD from 2007 and from Oshawa Ontario.
      22. Coaching For Sara….Tonight’s The Night….from their debut CD and they are playing tomorrow at the Eastside here in town. They will be doing a live to air on Radio WW on Friday February 10th.
      23. Coaching For Sara…..These People….as above.
      24. Keith Whittaker….Honestly Ed….from his Drink To Me CD from 2007 and former singer of The Demics, one of the very first punk/new wave combos out of London Ontario.
      25. Bloodshot Bill….She’s My Baby…from the Git High Tonite! CD on Transistor 66 Records from 2009 and a request from last week.
      26. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners……Crazy Mixed Up World…from the Condo Country CD which is about to be re-released. Ray was one of the best live performers and sadly passed away in 2004.
      27. Ronnie Dawson….Action Packed….from the Rockin’ Bones LP and originally from 1958. We got to see Rockin’ Ronnie when he came to town many years ago, playing at Leadbellys with The Frantic Flattops as his backup combo. Great show and we got him to autograph a coupla records!
      28. Wanda Jackson….Rock Your Baby…..from the Rockin’ With Wanda LP from 1958. Wanda’s come to town a few times in the last decade or so, and is well worth checking out if you get the chance!! She may be a senior citizen, but man can she sing!!
      29. David Bowie…..Changes….from the Hunky Dory LP and we decided to finish the show with some Bowie, as it’s been almost a year since David passed!
      30. David Bowie……Sorrow….from the Pinups LP and my fave Bowie song! Used to hear this played on the radio fairly often when it came out and always really dug it!
      31. David Bowie….Panic In Detroit….from the Aladdin Sane LP. Used to hear this on the FM rock stations out of Detroit back when it was released.
      32. David Bowie…..Suffragette City….from the Ziggy Stardust LP.
      33. David Bowie…..Young Americans….from the LP of the same name and we’re outta time, well before we’re out of Bowie tunes!!!

Lucky 7 at Call The Office 2/23/1989. 

Big Thanx for all the phone calls and the info about Lucky 7 playing at Leadbellys! Our listeners are the best, cause when I make a mistake or miss something, they’re on the phone or FB messenger right away!! Muchly appreciated!!

Back again next week, think we might be spinning some Certain General and maybe some glam as you can never get enough of that!!

Certain General at The Embassy....Jan 1/1984. I see Rose, Rhonda, Rob and Pat the Hairdresser in the crowd!

Disregard the London Indie Underground thing, as it’s Radio WW and we’re waiting for them to update the webpage.

• January 14, 2017 8:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist Friday January 13/2017

1. The Gruesomes…..What Wave….from Mr Garager’s Neighbourhood LP 1989.
      2. The Smugglers…..Alan Thicke…..from the In The Hall Of Fame CD from 1992. For Alan Thicke who passed away a month ago and to commemorate the one time reunion of The Smugglers for the Gilman St Reunion party on the weekend.  But The Smugglers if you want them to do another reunion show…
      3. Pacanomad….Coming Out…from the brand new Take It Slow CD. From London and one of the few soul styled combos around this area.
      4. Marcellus Wallace….Everything Is Alright….from their self titled CD from around 2 years ago. London funk/soul combo presently on hiatus. Got to see them open up for Barrence Whitfield and The Savages a while back, and they tore the house down!
      5. Dustaphonics…..You Don’t Love Me Anymore…from the recent Johnny and Bo release on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.
      6. Short Pants Romance…..Heat Wave….from a demo they sent us back in 2008 and from Montreal.
      7. The Thing From Outer Space….Ghost Hop….from their recent CD release and they are playing at the Soho tonight here in London….formerly the Victoria Tavern.
      8. Uranus….Chinese Soup…..from their 1980 LP and meant to play Secret Agent Man. From London and you can read their full story on the CHRW Radio homepage….London band makes the top 10 on AM radio across Canada in 1980!
      9. Blue Demons….Cougar Country….from their blue vinyl 7” on Boppa Do Down Records out of Toronto.
      10. Huevos Rancheros…White Out In Wyoming….from a 7” on Get Hip Records from 1994 and from Calgary.
      11. The Thing From Outer Space….Mr Moto….as above and used this to close our little instro set.
      12. The Dahlmanns….Tear Me Apart….from a recent 7” on Beluga Records and from Norway.
      13. The Tuns….Mixed Messages….from their recent self titled debut LP and a super group as there’s a Sloan and a Flashing Light involved in this 3 piece. Caught them live at Call The Office in the fall and one of the best shows I’ve seen recently!! Power pop with tight background vocal harmonies.
      14. Blasting Fondas….Saddest Excuse…..from a recent Beluga single and from Sweden.
      15. B Sides…..Underground Radio Star/ She’s A Raver….from a 1980 7” and from Vancouver. URS sums up just about every combo that gets played on Radio WW!
      16. Simply Saucer….Nice Noize….from the CD compilation that comes with Heavy Metalloid Music, The Story Of Simply Saucer book that just came out. We had author Jesse Locke on air with us a couple weeks back.
      17. Chris Houston….Einstein’s Brain….from a 2013 7” and Chris was in Forgotten Rebels over 30 years ago.
      18. Poisoned Aeros…..Broken Down…from the Turbulence CD from 2003 and from Hamilton. This combo backed up Sylvain Sylvain on his Canadian tours years ago.
      19. MUD….Nite On The Tiles….from their Greatest Hit Singles double CD compilation and from 1976. They sound a lot like…..
      20. Sweet….Blockbuster….from a 7” from 1973.  The songs always sound soooo much better on7” record….more punch, more depth and more highs and lows!!
      21. Certain General….Hello My God….from their Holiday Of Love EP from 1982. This band hit London for a stay back in the summer of 1981, playing places like the Cedar Lounge and Fryfogles. They put on some amazing shows and helped influence the London scene at the time.  Drummer Marcy Saddy is of course from London Ontario.
      22. Long Day Journey…..When My Mind Goes High….from the brand new Grows Their Own CD and from Hamilton Ontario.
      23. The Flintettes….Choice Is Ours….from a brand new 7” on La Ti Da Records out of British Columbia. Might be a Tranzmitor in this one!
      24. The Kinks…..Lola…from The Anthology 1964-1971 Box Set and for Sir Ray Davies who was just knighted this month!!
      25. The Kinks….Johnny Thunder…..as above and lead us to….
      26. Johnny Thunders….MIA….from the Que Sara Sara LP from 1985 and sounds a lot like The Legend Killers (former London Ontario combo)
      27. Johnny Thunders….Leave Me Alone….from his So Alone LP from 1978 and features some Sex Pistols and a Thin Lizzy on this song.
      28. UIC….Leave Me Alone….from the brand new Wiseman Sessions LP and not the same song as the previous Thunders tune. We’re hoping for a UIC show here in London sometime this spring.
      29. Coaching For Sara….Sister Won’t….from their self titled debut CD and we’ll have Coaching For Sara live to air on February 10th.
      30. CUB….Flaming Red Bobsled…from the Cuddlecore 94 CD and a request. Didn’t have much luck finding the other requests today.
      31. 49th Parallel….Citizen Freak….from a 7” from 1969 and from Calgary.
      32. The Haunted….1 2 5…..from a 7” on Amy Records from 1966. At this point I should plug the upcoming record show at Centennial Hall on March 19th.  You never know who you might meet or what you might find. Case in point, we met the manager of The Haunted at one of these record shows and he was selling original Haunted singles which is how we got this record. Last show, ran into Matthew Smith, vocalist for Outrageous Cherry, a Detroit combo that have many releases. You just never know….
      33. Hiroshima Hearts….4 Steps….from their recent Bones EP and there is a video for this song on the Radio WW facebook page.

Ran out of time, but certainly not tunes. Thanx for all the phone calls, emails and facebook messages!! Back next week with loads more tunes.

Here’s a link to the archived show:

• January 20, 2017 8:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist January 20/2017

1. The Gruesomes…..What Wave…..from Mr Garager’s Neighbourhood from 1989 and goes out to Gruesome drummer John Jedd Knoll who celebrated a birthday yesterday.
      2. Bath Salts….Cool Like The Music….from their recent Mardi Gras CD and from London Ontario.
      3. The Only Ones…..Another Girl Another Planet….from the 1979 LP Special View, a Canadian release which collected tracks from their previous UK only releases. This goes out to drummer Mike Kellie who passed away this week. Mike also drummed for Spooky Tooth and many others in a long musical career.  One of my fave songs.
      4. Elvis Costello….Radio Radio….from the LP This Year’s Model from 1978,
      5. The Rolling Stones….Live With Me…..from the Mono Box Set and on the Let It Bleed CD from 1969.
      6. Psychedelic Furs….Pulse….from their 1980 self titled LP. Remember when they played at the Cedar Lounge October 1980, and the next band opened….
      7. The Zellots….Blades….from their 1981 Peter Moore produced demo. Peter has gone on to win a Grammy at last year’s gala…this recording is from his tenure at Fanshawe College here in London.
      8. Light Bulb Alley…..I Only Got 2 Feet….from the Bright Side Of The Dumpster CD that we finally have in the CHRW library….filed under punk/metal for some odd reason.
      9. Hook Up….Cruel Sound Of Love….from their soon to be released on Transisto 66 Records. And speaking of T66, watch out for the new Noble Savages CD also to be released on T66.
      10. Pussycat and the Dirty Johnsons….Livin’ With Mum And Dad….from their brand new release on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.
      11. Never Betters…..Gold Stars…from their recent Bitchin’ download.
      12. X …..Adult Books….from the Dangerhouse compilation.
      13. The Secrets….Teenage Rampage….from the OPM CD of the same name and goes out to singer Freddy Pompeii who needs our help now. He’s in a hospital in Philadelphia, where he lives. There’s a benefit happening on Sunday February 5th at the Garrison in Toronto with loads of cool bands playing.
      14. The Scenics….Oh Boy….from their Sunshine World CD and recorded back in 1977. Toronto based, The Scenics used to share gigs with The Demics, each getting gigs in their respective home towns for the other. 
      15. Teenage Head….Picture My Face….recorded live at The Spoke and Rim Tavern at Western University 2/18/1981. It was broadcast over the airwaves by CHRW live, (swearing and all) and I taped it on my cassette deck live at the time….only Western students and guests were able to go to this event, of which I was neither.
      16. The Government….Flat Tire….from their 1979 Ep and from Toronto.  After Teenage Head finished their above gig, their truck had 4 flat tires. Rumour has it that pointed sticks were involved in the flattening of the tires. There was an opening band for Teenage Head at The Spoke, they were from Vancouver and were a powerpop band that released many records, including one in the UK. They weren’t happy with how much stage space they were given.
      17. Death Drive…..Firestar….brand new demo from this Montreal combo. Drummer Ockert Greef celebrated a birthday yesterday and this is for him!
      18. The Lamplighters…..I’m Coming Home….from the Do The Ox Cd that arrived via mail yesterday, almost 2 months after leaving Australia. This release is from 2012 and they have a brand new record on the verge of being released. They took their name from a chain of Inns here in Canada, so a Canadian tour is definitely required! I’ve offered to let the band stay in our record room while here in London.
      19. The Lamplighters…..1 2 4…. As above.
      20. The Mongrels…..Piece Of Crap….from their demos from 2013. Thanx to drummer Carlo for phoning in to thank me for playing a Piece Of Crap!!   LOL
      21. Florida Razors….New York’s Screamin’….from the Half A Rock’n’Roll Record from the early 80’s This is a Tom Wilson project, Tom later formed Junkhouse, Blackie and The Rodeo Kings and Lee Harvey Osmond among others. We caught Lee Harvey a couple months back and they put on an Excellent show at the Aeolian Hall here in London.
      22. Florida Razors….American Girl….from the Beat Music Lp from 1986. Florida Razors played London many times to appreciative crowds!
      23. Dustaphonics….Sounds Groove….from the recent Johnny and Bo CD on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.
      24. 24th Street Wailers….Groove….brand new demo the band sent us this week.  The Wailers are originally from Toronto and currently based in Austin Texas. They travel all across North America and put on Great live shows!!
      25. Etta James….Tough Lover….from a Greatest Hits CD and from 1956.
      26. Nick Curran…..Reform School Girl….from the Reform School Girl CD from 2010. Nick had never reached his full potential and this CD was his last official release, as he passed a couple years back…..Way too soon as he was just a youngster. Fuck Cancer!
      27. Arthur Alexander…..The Girl That Radiates The Charm….from A Shot Of Rhythm And Soul Lp on Ace Records from 1985. This particular recording is from 1960, before he went on to become one of the very first artists recorded at Muscle Shoals in its formative days. Arthur wrote a couple of songs that were recorded by The Beatles and Rolling Stones. And this particular track, sounds like it came from outer space!! Teenage Head recorded a version on their Electric Guitars LP in the mid 80’s.
      28. The Stents….Take This Little Heart….from their Invisible Sounds CD on KOTJ records.
      29. Birds Of Paradise…..Beehive State…..recent release on Hidden Volume Records and this combo is from Montreal and features Roy Vucino.
      30. Rebel Set….Thorn In My Side….brand new 7” on Hidden Volume Records and from Phoenix.
      31. Dave Rave Conspiracy…..Weight Of The World…from 1990 and on the Anthology Volume 1 CD.
      32. The Tuns…. Mind Over Matter…from their recent self titled debut LP.  Every track on this LP is pure power pop with loads of background and multi part harmonies. Sticks in your head whether you want it to or not.
      33. Coaching For Sara…..These People….from their debut CD from last year and from London Ontario. CFS will be doing a live to air on February 10th on Radio What Wave!
      34. Bow Wow Wow….Louis Quatorze…..from The Last Of The Mohicans 12” from 1982. Features a picture of lead singer Annabella Lwin on the front cover naked. Nothing was showing, but there was a major controversy over this, as Annabella was only 14 or 15 at the time! Malcolm McLaren was responsible for this….same guy that ruined the NYDolls but made a mint with his next creation, The Sex Pistols.
      35. Bow Wow Wow…..Mile High Club…..as above and we had to fade this as we ran outta time but not tunes.

Big Thanx for all the phone calls !!!  And for all the emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! That’s what makes it all worthwhile.

No show next week due to other commitments, back on February 3rd with some or all of the Hiroshima Hearts as they have a gig at Grinning Gator that night.   February 10th we’ve got Coaching For Sara coming in to do a live to air performance!

We’ll be at the Collectible Show on Sunday January 29th selling some records, CD’s, comics, magazines etc etc….come say Hey!

• February 3, 2017 7:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist February 3rd 2017

Back after a week off and this show was on the 58th anniversary of the day the music died. Coincidentally, the man who lost (won?) the infamous coin toss with Ritchie Valens, Tommy Allsup passed away a couple weeks prior to this show. Also had to mention Overend Watts, John Wetton and Robert Dalhquist (guitar for The Hellacopters) also passed away…

1. The Mongrels….All Systems Go….from a 2013 demo and The Mongrels are back at The Richmond Hotel on Sunday Feb 5th from 3 to 6 for yet another Rock’n’Roll Rent Party.

1. UIC….Crop Dusting….recorded live at Call The Office 3/16/1985 and goes out to Brian Calvert, AKA Brian the Math Teacher who used to be at many gigs around town back in the early 80’s. Brian would always be yelling and dancing up a storm and I think that’s him yelling in the crowd during this song.

1. UIC….Heartache….from the Wiseman Sessions LP on Yeah Right Records and UIC are coming back to London on Saturday April 8th.

1. The Sadies…..The Black Sheep….from the Tales Of The Rat Fink CD and summarizes Brian The Math Teacher.

1. Flying Squad….Health Food….recorded live at Call The Office 6/18/2005 as part of the Boot To The Head show….30th anniversary of the closing of the Cedar Lounge.  2 members of Flying Squad are in 44i who play Saturday night at Soho Bar And Grill along with THE.

1. 10 Heads On 10…..Safe Canadian Home….recorded live at The Dawghouse 11/26/2016 and they have a gig coming up at Soho on Saturday Feb 11th.

1. Alarm Cat….Notches…..from a brand new demo from this local combo who’s live to air I caught on It’s Trash a couple weeks back.

1. Noble Savages…..Who Are The Mystery Girls….brand new demo from this Hamilton combo who are releasing a CD on Transistor 66 Records in the near future.

1. 63 Monroe…..Hijack Victim….recorded live at The Dawghouse 11/26/2016 and they have a gig in their altered ego of Stunning on Saturday Feb 11th at the Eastside here in London. Big Thanx to John Gardi (who has an early Monday morning show here on CHRW) for recording this gig at The Dawghouse.

1. Ritchie Valens…..Let’s Go…..from a Greatest Hits LP and it was 58 years ago today the infamous plane crash in Clear Lake Iowa.

1. Ritchie Valens…..Fast Freight…..as above and a great guitar instro. Ritchie was still a teenager when he passed, nowhere near the star he would have become.

1. Buddy Holly…..It’s So Easy….from the Buddy Holly Rocks LP and from 1958. Tommy Allsup provides the searing lead guitar on this one, and Tommy lost (won?) the coin toss but passed away a couple weeks back. Tommy had a lifelong musical career working with just about everyone in the business. Buddy Holly played the old London Arena 4/10/1958 along with Chuck Berry (who returned several times to London) and many others.

1. Buddy Holly…..Down The Line….as above, but from 1955 and goes out to Tommy Black Hole Hilborn who has an art show happening at the Westland Gallery here in London.

1. Big Bopper…..Chantilly Lace….from the original single.

1. Coaching For Sara…..Look Around….from their only CD and next week, we’re doing a live to air with Coaching For Sara!! This one’s been in the works for what seems like ages!

1. TVD….I’d Kiss You Honey But You’re Standing On My Bottom Lip…..from the Salvation Through Distraction CD from this local combo.

1. Mott The Hoople….All The Way From Memphis….from the Mott LP from 1973 and goes out to Overend Watts who passed away last week.

1. Mott The Hoope…..All The Young Dudes….from the LP of the same name from 1972 and this was the song David Bowie wrote for the band and brought them back to life.

1. The Thing From Outer Space…..Pipeline…..live recording from the Dawghouse 11/26/2016.

1. Dex Romweber….Nightide….from the recent Carrboro CD on Bloodshot Records. Dex is heading to This Ain’t Hollywood in June to open for Rev Horton Heat and Agent Orange.

1. The Youngsters…..I Wanna Be Your Man….from the compilation CD Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas CD and from 1969.

1. Chrome Reverse….Teenagers….from the brand new They Wanna Fight LP on Mag Wheels Records and out of Paris France.

1. Chrome Reverse…..I Smell A Rat…. As above.

1. The Cramps….The Way I Walk….from a 7” and February 4th is the anniversary of Lux’s passing….2009.

1. The Cramps…..Domino….. as above and for Lux.

1. Hiroshima Hearts…..4 Steps Down….from their recent Bones EP and we were joined by HH’s lovely lead vocalist Jenn Marino to talk about all things Hiroshima Hearts. And man, there was a lot of things happening in 2016 as Jenn explained and a lot more about to happen! Including the soon to be released 7” record that they just got the test pressings for today!! Jenn hadn’t even seen the picture of the record on facebook yet!!

1. Hiroshima Hearts…..The Well….from their debut CD from 2015.

1. Hiroshima Hearts…..Spend Your Money….from the Bones EP.

1. Hiroshima Hearts….14 Floors….from their debut CD.

1. Tuns….Back Among Friends….from their debut LP from last year.

1. Badfinger….Baby Blue…..from their Greatest Hits CD and had to cut this short as we’d run out of time.

Huge Thanx to Jenn Marino for taking the time from her busy schedule (the band was doing a gig at Grinning Gator the eve of this show) to talk about all things Hiroshima Hearts! And thanx for all the phone calls, emails and facebook messages and the crazy Heys from listeners all over the place!!!

Next week, we’ve got a live to air with local power pop combo Coaching For Sara!!

• February 11, 2017 1:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist February 10/2017

Live to air with Coaching For Sara on this show and we had to say goodbye to Bobby Freeman, Dave Vucenich, Robert Lundquist and forgot to mention Ritchie Yorke. We’ll do a proper goodbye to Mr Yorke next week. Always assumed he was Canadian as he was SOOOO instrumental in the Canadian music scene from the late 60’s to mid 70’s….ie he got John Lennon to do his first live show in many years in Toronto, helped create Cancon which is still intact to this day and wrote the first book on the history of Canadian music. Mr Yorke was an Aussie and was huge into the first wave of Oz punk!

1. Bath Salts….Cool Like The Music…from the recent Mardi Gras CD and they have a gig coming up on the 25th at Fitzrays.
      2. The Sadies….A Burning Showman….from the Favourite Colours CD from 2004 and The Sadies are playing the Budweiser with their pals Blue Rodeo on Tuesday.
      3. The Sadies…..Tiger Tiger….from the Stories Often Told CD from 2002.  A regular listener rightly stated The Sadies should be headlining this show….maybe next time!
      4. Blue Rodeo….Till I Am Myself Again….from the Casino LP from 1990 which features Bobby Wiseman on keyboards. The same guy that produced UIC’s Wiseman Sessions. And UIC have a date of April 8th at Call The Office with tickets now on sale.
      5. Blue Rodeo….Rose Coloured Glasses….from their Outskirts LP from 1987 and features former Battered Wives Cleave Anderson on the tubs.
      6. Pacanomad….Shot The Gun….from their recent Take It Slow CD and they have a gig coming up on the 18th at Fitzrays.
      7. Ten Heads On Ten……Ten Heads On The Radio….live recording 11/26/2016 at The Dawghouse and Ten Heads have a gig tonight at SOHO (the old Victoria tavern) along with Bleeter.
      8. Hellacopters….Slowdown….from the Cream Of The Crap Volume 2 CD and goes out to guitarist Robert Lundquist who passed away way too young! Caught The Hellacopters once or maybe twice at Call The Office…once was 12/8/1998 which was probably with the New Bomb Turks.
      9. Rob Sweeney….My Funny Valentine….from his I Dig Chicks CD and former Purple Toad and Durango 95 guitar slinger. Presently in Crummy Stuff with former Hippie Brian Young and former Purple Toad Marky Toad.
      10. Coaching For Sara……Look Around….this is the beginning of our live to air. For those that don’t know, Coaching For Sara are a London based combo that play a mix of powerpop and guitar rock that goes down real nice! They have one CD out and you can catch them on Sunday at Norma Jeans here in London.
      11. Coaching For Sara….didn’t write down the name of this one.(I’m gonna catch shit for this!)
      12. Coaching For Sara…..didn’t write down the name of this one.
      13. Coaching For Sara….She Comes In Waves
      14. Coaching For Sara….Reality.
      15. Mandala…Love-itis….from their Soul Crusade LP from around 1968 and part of our Valentine’s Day sound.
      16. Johnny Horton…..Lovers Rock….from the Rockin’ Rollin’ LP on Bear Family Records and originally from 1958.  Right around this time, Shane, Lars, Chris and Ryan from Coaching For Sara came into the onair to yammer about all things Coaching For Sara!!
      17. Coaching For Sara……Little Lady…..back to the second half of the live to air!
      18. Coaching For Sara…..Show
      19. Coaching For Sara…..Matter Of Time
      20. Coaching For Sara…..Tiff
      21. Coaching For Sara….Tonight’s The Night…..and indeed it is as Coaching For Sara put on a great show. There were a few little glitches behind the scenes, but the boys are professional and worked around them.
      22. Alice Cooper….Be My Lover…..from the Greatest Hits LP that I bought way back in high school!
      23. Bobby Freeman…..Do You Wanna Dance….from the LP of the same name and goes out to Bobby who passed away last month. A song covered and made into a hit by many, including The Beach Boys and The Ramones.
      24. The Cynics….I Live Alone….from a 7” and goes out to former bass player Dave Vucenich who passed away earlier this week. Dave was a long time Cynic and also heavily involved in the Mount McKinleys and a huge collector of 60’s garagepunk records.
      25. The Hook Up…..Outside….from the soon to be released Cruel Sounds CD on Transistor 66 Records.
      26. 24th Street Wailers….Voodoo…. from a demo they sent us very recently. Presently based in Austin Texas, these  youngsters got together initially at Humber College in Toronto, coincidentally living on 24th Street, right near the college.
      27. C W Stoneking….Zombie….from the Gon’ Boogaloo CD and from Australia. Big Thanx to David Hookup for getting this CD to us!
      28. Harry Manx….Foxy Lady….from the Wise and Otherwise CD from 2001 and Harry was in town at the Aeolian Hall last night.
      29. The Shangri-Las……Give Him A Great Big Kiss…..from their Greatest Hits CD .

Out of time once again and a HUGE Thanx to Coaching For Sara for taking the time and energy to play live over the airwaves of CHRW on Radio What Wave!! Huge Shoutout to Alex for the live sound and to Adam for his help setting up everything behind the scenes!

Back again next week with a proper Ritchie Yorke trib and lots more noise to annoy!!   And Big Thanx to our production manager Ando, for letting me do these live to airs and for getting a proper image on the CHRW webpage!

• February 18, 2017 9:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist February 17/2017

This show we had to say goodbye to Stuart McLean of CBC’s Vinyl Café, Trish Doan, bass player for local metal combo Kittie and George The Animal Steele, former WWF wrestler and high school teacher. And just found out that another former WWF wrestler, Ivan Koloff (the Russian Bear) passed away.

1. King Salami and The Cumberland 3…..Intro and No Stoppin’…from their brand new Goin’ Back To Wurtsville CD on Dirty Water Records.
      2. Never Betters….Gold Stars….from their Bitchin’ download and from London Ontario.
      3. The Darts…..Revolution….from their brand new self titled release on Dirty Water Records. All female combo from the west coast of the US.
      4. Lucy and The Rats….The Situation……from a 7” on Dirty Water Records….detecting a pattern here? Dirty Water Records has been releasing some really fine records over the past few years!
      5. Pacanomad…..Paranoid….from their Take It Slow CD and they will be playing tonight at Fitzrays in downtown London.
      6. Lou Reed….Kill Your Sons…..from the Sally Can’t Dance LP from 1974 which features Michael Fonfara as keyboard player and band leader. Michael will be in town tonight at the Firehall reunion as part of the backing band.  Caught Michael in town at the Bluesfest this summer with his Lincolns (also featuring Prakash John and Danny Weiss….at one time all 3 were in Lou Reed’s band) which was one of the best shows I saw last year!
      7. Immortal Lee County Killers…..Boom Boom….from the These Bones Will  Rise To Love You Again CD from 2005. This was the 3rd and final full length from this combo who played at Call The Office just after releasing this CD and it was a phenomenal show!!
      8. Richard James and the Special Riders…..Wounded Animal….from the Music For People Who Been Wronged CD from 2007 and from Memphis.
      9. Lee Harvey Osmond…..Shake The Hand….from the Beautiful Scars CD that came out last fall. Caught them at the Aeolian Hall on this tour and one of the best shows we saw last year! For those that don’t know, LHO is basically Tom Wilson, Ray Farrugia and whomever else is around for the live band. Tom was in Florida Razors, Junkhouse (along with Ray) and also in Blackie and the Rodeo Kings.
      10. David Vest…..Heartfull of Rock’n’Roll….from the Roadhouse Revelation CD from 2014 and features Londoner Ted Peacock on the guitars. David will be in town tonight as part of the Firehall Reunion sho.
      11. Paul James…..Trespasser….from a 1980 7” and Paul will be in town on March 16th at the London Music Club.
      12. Dex Romweber Duo…..So Sad About Us….from the Images 13 CD from 2014 on Bloodshot Records. Dex will be in Hamilton in June, opening for Rev Horton Heat and Agent Orange.
      13. Keith Whittaker….I’d Kiss You Honey But Your’re Standing On My Bottom Lip…from the Drink To Me CD from 2007. A request to hear the original version of this song that local combo TVD recently released on their debut CD.
      14. Alarm Cat…..Notches….brand new download from this local powerpop combo!
      15. Zebrassieres…..I Am A Human….from their LP of the same name from 2013 and from Ottawa.
      16. Cunts…..Date With Disaster….1982 7” from this Chicago based combo. Couldn’t say their name onair obviously.  We did a full length article on this combo many years ago in What Wave zine.
      17. Cunts….Around The Corner….from their Midnight Party CD, probably mid 90’s, but no date on it.
      18. The Thing From Outer Space…..Surf Rider….from their recent self released debut CD and from London. They have a show coming up on  March 4th with Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants on March 4th at Soho (Victoria Tavern).
      19. The Deuce Couples…..Gear Masher…..from a compilation LP called Boss Drag ’64 which claims to be pressed in Brazil on the back cover! Love the squealing tires on this one!
      20. Bounty Hunters….Echo Express….from Strummin’ Mental Volume 1 compilation LP. There were at least 6 volumes of this crazy guitar instro madness, supposedly dated from 1957 to 1964.  These are the kind of records you should be searching for at the upcoming London Record Show on Sunday March 19th at Centennial Hall.
      21. The Surfdusters….Gruesome….from the Surf After Dark CD from 1997 and from Canada’s west coast. This song is probably dedicated to those tyrants of teen trash, The Gruesomes!
      22. UIC…..Leave Me Alone….from the recent Wiseman Sessions LP on Yeah Right Records. April 8th is the date at Call The Office, tickets on sale at Grooves and Speed City as well as direct from Call The Office. Opening combos are Boy From Nowhere (a fave of Radio What Wave) and Myrtle Earle (features Chris Mittelholtz, one time Legend Killer amongst many other fine combos). Get your tickets quick as this one will sell out quick! 2 of the above mentioned bands played at our wedding party back in…….1985?!?!?!
      23. Supersuckers……Coatail Rider….from The Smoke Of Hell CD that came out back in 1992. Supersuckers have a date of April 29th at Call The Office, another one that’s gonna sell out, tickets at the above locations.  Supersuckers played their first London show 6/9/1992 opening for The Dwarves at Call The Office…..the infamous throat slashing incident…..LOL…I’ve told the story onair a couple of times over the years. Here’s some trivia, The Dwarves appeared on at least one What Wave cassette years prior to this show.
      24. The Methadones…..I’m About To Crack….from the Career Objective CD from 2003 and from Chicago.
      25. Noble Savages…..Who’s Gonna Solve The Mystery Girls….recent demo and they are about to release a CD on Transistor 66 Records out of Winnipeg.
      26. Ancient Shapes…..Public Hymns…..from the recent self titled debut LP and they are at Call The Office on Saturday Feb 25th.
      27. First Base……If I See You With That Girl…..a recent 7” on La Ti Da Records and one of my fave new singles!! It’s got that infectious hook that won’t let go!
      28. The Hippies….Can Teens….from the Slippery’s Club Hits CD that came with What Wave 24. You can grab a copy from me at the upcoming London Record Show, March 19th.
      29. Try-Umphs…..Never Let You Go…..recent download from this combo that has a London connection.
      30. NYDolls….Seven Day Weekend….from the A Hard Day’s Night CD on Norton Records and is 1972 demos.  Since this is a long weekend around here, seemed appropriate. Besides, it’s a great song!
      31. Amy Rigby…..Dancing With Joey Ramone…..from the Little Fugitive CD from 2005.
      32. The Polymorphines……Billy Hates Sunday….from their self titled CD from 2008 and from Ottawa. Oddly (or coincidentally) I was wearing a Polymorphines T-shirt during this show.
      33. Blood On The Saddle…..Bed Of Roses….from the Poison Love Lp from 1985 and part of the cowpunk thing that happened during this era. Singer Annette was in the original lineup of The Bangles. Caught this combo a couple of times at Key West and they put on a really good live show!
      34. Torquemadas…..Teenage Head….from a 1989 New Zealand compilation LP called Positive Vibrations. This is NOT the Flamin’ Groovies tune, nor named after the band of the same name. Just some teenagers having some fun with rock’n’roll!
      35. 905s….Stalemate…..from the Shake Down CD from 2015 and they will be opening up for Teenage Head in Brampton in a couple of weeks!

Ran out of time, certainly not tunes! Big thanx for all the emails, facebook messages and phone calls!!!

Next week’s show will be an all black edition as we commemorate Black History Month at CHRW. Any requests, get them in via facebook.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel